none
network alert.. hd failure.. please help RRS feed

• Question

• i had to do a new install of whs due to catastrophic mb/cpu failure. everything worked great before.
    so, everything went fine with install, with single 640 gig wd. updated the os to current, then installed the server connector software on my comp(2 more to do) with np until the network health applet informed me that my 'unlabeled volume.....has failed. please check hd & try to repair..'well, i tried the suggestion & all that happend was server storage spinning its wheels trying to calculate size. repair option int available & the drive has a red light with 'missing' by it.
    the puzzling part is that disk management sees the disc with its c(sys) & d(data) partitions as healthy & the the downloaded wd tools reports the drive as healthy with no problems. whs also installed the appropriate folders - shares & my account folder so the os 'sees' the drive & uses it. i really dont know what else to do. i am pretty sure this is going to be someting prety basic & obvious, i just dont know what it is. but whats new :)
         any/all help greatly appreciated   mike.

bty how do u get rid of that idiotic yellow popup that appears in the rt quadrant of the message area. im not a good typist  & not being able t osee whats going on underneath it is a pain, especially when trying to correct errors lol.

Saturday, October 10, 2009 9:37 PM

Answers

• 'i had to do a new install'  'single 640 gig wd.' ^  ;)
    the only things that thinks my hd has failed is server storage, & network health. if i dbl click on the shared folders icon on my comps desktop i can access those folders on the server. of course the server boots up just fine & acts like it sdould, with that glaring exception. i assume i wont be able to backup until i get this problem fixed.
    i also installed the disk management add-in. it 'sees' the hd but reports it as missing & not connected. failure predicted says false. wich goes along with the wd software that siad the drive was in perfect working order. this a setting problem somewherein whs, i just dont know what/where.
    also, the d(data) partition is set as logical.
    In that case, I would suggest you try another New Installation.
    • Marked as answer by mike2h Monday, October 12, 2009 6:09 PM
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 4:57 AM
  • I would suggest scrubbing all partition information off that disk and trying another new installation.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 2:11 PM
  • i tries new clean install. fail!. i knew there had to still be some sort of problem that was corrupting install. the only 3 likely components that were left over from pre /mb/cpu meltdown are the rom drive, mem, & hd. knew the hd was fine, so tested mem- np. that left the dvd drive & its cable(the hd cable was new i always use the nmew supplies when when swapping out mb) so i swapped out the cable for the dvd drive.. another fail. happened to have a spare dvd drive swapped it out & voila! whs is installed & running fine!!!!
    anyway, thx! for pushing me on the clean install, while i would have got there eventually, u guys saved me hours of frustration. while i actually enjoy trouble shooting(to a point;)) whs seems like it doesnt have much room for that- if it works, great, if it doesnt you are either doing a reinstall or a clean install. of course from what i have gleaned from the forums, outside of hardware failure(mb & cpu fizzling in this instance), once u get it up & running it is really stable.
    • Marked as answer by mike2h Monday, October 12, 2009 6:08 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by mike2h Monday, October 12, 2009 6:09 PM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 6:08 PM

All replies

• i had to do a new install of whs due to catastrophic mb/cpu failure. everything worked great before.
    so, everything went fine with install, with single 640 gig wd. updated the os to current, then installed the server connector software on my comp(2 more to do) with np until the network health applet informed me that my 'unlabeled volume.....has failed. please check hd & try to repair..'well, i tried the suggestion & all that happend was server storage spinning its wheels trying to calculate size. repair option int available & the drive has a red light with 'missing' by it.
    the puzzling part is that disk management sees the disc with its c(sys) & d(data) partitions as healthy & the the downloaded wd tools reports the drive as healthy with no problems. whs also installed the appropriate folders - shares & my account folder so the os 'sees' the drive & uses it. i really dont know what else to do. i am pretty sure this is going to be someting prety basic & obvious, i just dont know what it is. but whats new :)
         any/all help greatly appreciated   mike.

bty how do u get rid of that idiotic yellow popup that appears in the rt quadrant of the message area. im not a good typist  & not being able t osee whats going on underneath it is a pain, especially when trying to correct errors lol.

Did you do a Server Reinstallation or New Installation?  Also, please provide as many details as possible about your hard drives, both before and after your hardware failure (i.e. how many hard drives, sizes, types of drives, which one is the primary, etc.)
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 11:49 PM
    the only things that thinks my hd has failed is server storage, & network health. if i dbl click on the shared folders icon on my comps desktop i can access those folders on the server. of course the server boots up just fine & acts like it sdould, with that glaring exception. i assume i wont be able to backup until i get this problem fixed.
    i also installed the disk management add-in. it 'sees' the hd but reports it as missing & not connected. failure predicted says false. wich goes along with the wd software that siad the drive was in perfect working order. this a setting problem somewherein whs, i just dont know what/where.
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 2:30 AM
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 4:57 AM

not be rude but u r a mod?(im assuming mods here all have some tech expertise) if you would have read my first post you would not have asked the questions you did in your first reply, & your best response now is 'try another new installation'? while i appreciate any & all help, obviously since i am here that is exactly what im hoping to avoid & was hoping for someting a little more helpful. now if that is the only way fix to my problem then that is that. i am hoping that it isnt.
    ty for taking the time to respond.

Sunday, October 11, 2009 5:32 AM
  • I would suggest scrubbing all partition information off that disk and trying another new installation.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 2:11 PM
  • not be rude but u r a mod?(im assuming mods here all have some tech expertise) if you would have read my first post you would not have asked the questions you did in your first reply, & your best response now is 'try another new installation'?

Whether you agree with my suggestion or not, it's a valid suggestion and the best course of action at this point (and, as you can see, Ken also suggested the same course of action).  As for me asking the questions I did, it's because there are countless times users come to these forums and say they did a "new install" when it was, in fact, a Server Reinstallation, and you never said how many hard drives you were using before your mobo failure.

while i appreciate any & all help, obviously since i am here that is exactly what im hoping to avoid & was hoping for someting a little more helpful. now if that is the only way fix to my problem then that is that. i am hoping that it isnt.
    ty for taking the time to respond.

Sunday, October 11, 2009 5:29 PM
  •  my point, in commenting on your first post, was that you obviously didnt read my first post as all the info you asked for was there- 1 of the questions you asked was answered in the first sentence. as far as how many hd's were in the first installation, what bearing does that have on a clean install with 1 hd? just for your curiosity it was.... 1 hd.
    anyway, looks like im doing another clean install. was hoping there would be another answer(in vista or xp this would be fixable), but that does not appear to be the case. ty for your time & responses.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 4:14 AM
  • i tries new clean install. fail!. i knew there had to still be some sort of problem that was corrupting install. the only 3 likely components that were left over from pre /mb/cpu meltdown are the rom drive, mem, & hd. knew the hd was fine, so tested mem- np. that left the dvd drive & its cable(the hd cable was new i always use the nmew supplies when when swapping out mb) so i swapped out the cable for the dvd drive.. another fail. happened to have a spare dvd drive swapped it out & voila! whs is installed & running fine!!!!
    anyway, thx! for pushing me on the clean install, while i would have got there eventually, u guys saved me hours of frustration. while i actually enjoy trouble shooting(to a point;)) whs seems like it doesnt have much room for that- if it works, great, if it doesnt you are either doing a reinstall or a clean install. of course from what i have gleaned from the forums, outside of hardware failure(mb & cpu fizzling in this instance), once u get it up & running it is really stable.
    • Marked as answer by mike2h Monday, October 12, 2009 6:08 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by mike2h Monday, October 12, 2009 6:09 PM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 6:08 PM