Support for existing Internet domains and commercial SSL certs RRS feed

• Question

• I already own a domain name.  I would like to add my server's IP address to it and purchase a commercial SSL cert, like from GoDaddy.

I tried this, but it required me to remote desktop into the server, run the IIS MMC and do the standard cert request, get signed, and install cert.  Okay, this is reasonable, since most home users won't want to mess with this.  But when I did this, it broke the WHS Connector install and the scheduled backups.  So a fix for this and some documentation would be a help.

Thanks.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 8:07 PM

All replies

• On the clients having trouble communicating with WHS, try going to the folder C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server and running discovery.exe. That may allow you to reestablish communication with your server from those clients.

The problem you're experiencing, BTW, is because at least some of the traffic between the server and the clients is encrypted using that server cert that you changed. If running discovery works, the next thing to try would be to install a cert on a brand new installation of WHS, before enrolling any clients. If that works seamlessly, then that's your solution.
    Friday, August 24, 2007 12:55 AM
  •  

Let us know how this works out for you. I've been wanting to try the same thing.

gib

Saturday, August 25, 2007 2:15 PM