none
Restoring just the registry RRS feed

• Question

• Running WHS with service pack 2 (or whatever it is called).  The PC is Windows 7 32bit.  Can just the registry be restored and if so how?

John

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:17 PM

All replies

• No. The registry itself, without the files, is useless. You'd put your system into critical failed state
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:08 PM
  • No, you can't restore just the registry using Windows Home Server. You can restore the whole system volume, which will also get the registry.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:08 PM
  • Sure you can restore the registry (at least parts of them) - if you do it offline. This is usefull if your computer does not start due to a corrupted registry hive and your System Restore functionality is not working.

Open the wanted backup in the console.
    Navigate to Windows\system32\config.
    Copy the keys you wish to restore to a location on the local disk of the client or to a thumbstick.
    File names represent the hive keys: i.e. SOFTWARE for HKLM\Software, SYSTEM for HKLM\System etc.
    The user profiles contain the file ntuser.dat, which reflect the special users registry keys (or a part of them).

Now boot from a Windows 7 disk (using system repair command prompt) or a second operating system (installed als multi boot on the same system) or attach the system disk to another machine as secondary disk.
    Rename the original files which you want to replace and copy the files from the backup to this location.

But as has been said: The files should not be too old, in this case you would run into a mismatch of the file versions referred in the registry and the real files in the system (i.e. after Windows Updates or installations/uninstalls of applications). And usually it should be enough replace the keys SOFTWARE and SYSTEM or the user key, if necessary.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, June 18, 2010 9:36 PM