Is it possible to develop and online/offline desktop app similar to MS Access RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We currently have developed an MS Access DB which operates on multiple users devices in both offline and online mode.  The user has work allocated to him via our Azure tables which are then completed in Access forms. The user then sends/receives data to and from the Azure tables/Azure storage.

I was wondering, is it possible to create a similar application using Visual Basic which would operate on a desktop both offline and online?  Any recommendations of potential options would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Thursday, April 30, 2020 10:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, your question is not particularly relevant to vb.net.What have you tried so far?Please  show your code,and ask specific questions.

Best Regards,

Alex

• Edited by Alex-KSGZ Friday, May 1, 2020 8:16 AM
    Friday, May 1, 2020 8:16 AM
  • I guess Alex misunderstood your question.

Of course you can, and in more ways.

However, you need for that knowledge of VB. 

It is easy to get by just trying.

Visual studio is therefore free. 

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/thank-you-for-downloading-visual-studio-for-net/?sku=Community&rel=16&rid=30008

If you need help feel free to ask in this forum

Success
    Cor

Friday, May 1, 2020 1:22 PM
  • We currently have developed an MS Access DB which operates on multiple users devices in both offline and online mode.  The user has work allocated to him via our Azure tables which are then completed in Access forms. The user then sends/receives data to and from the Azure tables/Azure storage.

If this is working, then why do you need to change it?

I was wondering, is it possible to create a similar application using Visual Basic which would operate on a desktop both offline and online?  Any recommendations of potential options would be much appreciated.

Why the need to do it in VB? You can do it in VB.NET using Access and use Windows fprms if you want to  stop using Access forms. You can also use SQLite that is a desktop database and can be used as an online database using Windows forms and VB.NET.

Friday, May 1, 2020 2:17 PM
  • Seems that using a local version of SQL-Server would do the trick, this is what we do for an app were all data is stored on a server (think of it as Azure) then when the come in the office their local copy is sync'd to the server by clicking a button in a WPF app. It's not automatic on purpose as they may need to finish an audit. Also we built in creating backups for local databases with a date and timestamp in the backup file name and have a clean up process which clears out all but the last seven days of back ups for local databases.

A older version of the app used MS-Access and had major issues both server and client side (before my time) so we went to SQL-Server and in the past two years had zero issues other than needing to restore from backup a local database after a laptop crashed.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Friday, May 1, 2020 4:49 PM