Editing/Merging profiles RRS feed

• Question

• I stumbled across my Microsoft Academic Search profile and found it woefully incomplete. I then discovered that my publications were spread among three separate profiles with exactly the same name. However:

1. All attempts to update the basic information for my profile, or to add publications to my profile have failed. Though the edits are accepted, they NEVER appear in the public version of the profile even weeks later.

2. Attempts to merge the separate profiles attributed to my name fail: though I can find several profiles with different subsets of my publications when searching for profiles, when I attempt to merge profiles the system suddenly CAN FIND "NO SIMILAR PROFILES"!

How you can expect anyone to trust the accuracy of your database when you make it impossible for authors to correct errors in their own profiles? 

Monday, June 17, 2013 10:15 PM

Answers

• Hello, John,

Thank you for your feedback. The content on Academic Search is based on tens of millions of articles thus far indexed from scholarly publishers. As more content gets indexed, accuracy and completeness will continue to improve. The indexed articles are grouped into author profiles, which are created algorithmically, and we realize some errors may occur.

If you have made changes to your author profile, your changes will be reflected on your author profile when the next batch of updates are applied to the website. We appreciate your patience.

If changes to your author profile are processing, you may not be able to merge author profiles until the changes to your author profile have completed. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Please do let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Best regards,

Microsoft Academic Search Team 

http://academic.research.microsoft.com/

Thomas, Academic Search Editor

Friday, June 21, 2013 4:51 PM

All replies

• Hello, John,

Thank you for your feedback. The content on Academic Search is based on tens of millions of articles thus far indexed from scholarly publishers. As more content gets indexed, accuracy and completeness will continue to improve. The indexed articles are grouped into author profiles, which are created algorithmically, and we realize some errors may occur.

If you have made changes to your author profile, your changes will be reflected on your author profile when the next batch of updates are applied to the website. We appreciate your patience.

If changes to your author profile are processing, you may not be able to merge author profiles until the changes to your author profile have completed. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Please do let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Best regards,

Microsoft Academic Search Team 

http://academic.research.microsoft.com/

Thomas, Academic Search Editor

Friday, June 21, 2013 4:51 PM
  • I have the same issue and feel it is irresponsible for microsoft to have not solved this issue for around 4 years (see your own FAQs history). This is a privacy and identity issue and can be important to academics hence your very reason for entering this field. Researchgate, Biomedexperts and Google scholar seem to manage it OK.
    Saturday, August 30, 2014 3:28 PM