OCS Services will not start after installation RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I've done an installation of OCS, every stage of the installation worked and all the verifications came back as OK. However when I try and start the OCS services I get the following errors. AD connectivity is OK though and I can log in to the server as the RTCservice account.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

James

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: OCS WMI Consumer
    Event Category: (1002)
    Event ID: 20491
    Date:  8/20/2008
    Time:  8:36:45 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: HC-CEN-WX-AP-05
    Description:
    Server could not retrieve information from Active Directory.

HRESULT: 0x0x8007202B
    Cause: This could happen if the domain controller and /or global catalog are not functional or cannot be contacted, or if permissions to the service account are altered.
    Resolution:
    Make sure that connection to Active Directory is functional and the account the service is running under has proper privileges.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: OCS Protocol Stack
    Event Category: (1001)
    Event ID: 14421
    Date:  8/20/2008
    Time:  8:36:45 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: HC-CEN-WX-AP-05
    Description:
    Server startup is pending as server is unable to connect to Active Directory.

Retries left: 599.
    Cause: WMI is unable to query the Active Directory for server configuration. Server cannot start until Active Directory becomes available.
    Resolution:
    Ensure that the DC is available and there are no connectivity issues.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 10:11 AM

Answers

•  

A couple of potential issues.

1) The server has not access to a Root Domain controller.  This assumes that you installed OCS using the defaults during the Forest Prep portion.

2) The server cannot connect to a GC that is being returned from DNS for the root domain.

3) The server's being returned for both LDAP and/or GC are incorrect in DNS.

4) Firewall issue connecting to the GC and/or LDAP server being returned from the DNS Server.

Use netmon (KB93373) to see what is happening on the server during service startup.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:23 PM

All replies

•  

A couple of potential issues.

1) The server has not access to a Root Domain controller.  This assumes that you installed OCS using the defaults during the Forest Prep portion.

2) The server cannot connect to a GC that is being returned from DNS for the root domain.

3) The server's being returned for both LDAP and/or GC are incorrect in DNS.

4) Firewall issue connecting to the GC and/or LDAP server being returned from the DNS Server.

Use netmon (KB93373) to see what is happening on the server during service startup.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:23 PM
  • Sounds like a possible AD replication issue.  I would look at replmon to ensure that ALL your DCs are replicating successfully.  Unfortunately I have seen this issue before and it was due to a tombstoned DC in a clients environment. 

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 4:06 PM
  • Thanks to all, anyway I cracked it in the end it was authentication. we have a multi-tree forest and the production domain with the OCS in was not allowed to access the LDAP servers in the root domain, one quick domain access policy change later and it all works.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:03 AM