Can't do client restore from Dashboard in WHS2011 after upgrade to Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded my Toshiba Z930 from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and the WHS2011 connector worked fine after applying all the pending Windows Updates. Scheduled client backups work as normal. 

However I now find that a client restore initiated from the Dashboard running on the Toshiba fails with the message “This driver has been blocked from loading”.

The backup of the Win 10 PC itself is OK since I can restore files from it using the Dashboard running on another Win 7 PC.

Note that I haven't installed the UEFI hotfix on the server.

Any suggestions?

Friday, October 2, 2015 5:42 PM

Answers

• I don't understand how a W10 machine (with UEFI) can be successfully backed up without the hotfix unless you are only backing up data drives!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Peter Selig Tuesday, October 20, 2015 1:06 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Peter Selig Tuesday, October 20, 2015 1:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Monday, October 26, 2015 3:25 PM
    Friday, October 2, 2015 8:57 PM

All replies

• I don't understand how a W10 machine (with UEFI) can be successfully backed up without the hotfix unless you are only backing up data drives!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Peter Selig Tuesday, October 20, 2015 1:06 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Peter Selig Tuesday, October 20, 2015 1:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Monday, October 26, 2015 3:25 PM
    Friday, October 2, 2015 8:57 PM
  • All available updates have been installed on both the client and server side, so maybe it has been installed. Anyway backup does work. On another PC (a Acer 1810TZ) I upgraded to Win 10, did a backup to the WHS2011 server, and then when the upgrade suddenly made the disk read only (!), I restored the Windows 10 system from the server backup with no problem. I then re-installed Windows 7 but that is another story.

My problem is with restore of a few files initiated from the dashboard.

Saturday, October 3, 2015 7:12 AM
  • Hi Phil,
    I used your suggestion regarding the relevance of the UEFI hotfix (KB2781272) for Windows Home Server 2011, to correct a problem I was recently experiencing.

See the discussion “Problem installing Connector Software for Windows Home Server 2011 on a Windows To Go (Windows 8.1)-based system”:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c38db02c-f4d6-4eb6-b380-033af27c86f7/problem-installing-connector-software-for-windows-home-server-2011-on-a-windows-to-go-windows?forum=whs2011

Your suggestion was, in this case, the key to helping me resolve the problem I was having.   Thank you for all your input to people in these discussion forums.

I just thought I would explain that, having resolved my problem, I came to this thread and I “proposed” your response to Mike Uren’s query as an “answer”.   Unfortunately, I then, accidentally, “unproposed” as an answer your (same) response to that query.   Have made that mistake, I could not find the means to “undo” my mistake.   Sorry for that!.

Kind regards,
    Peter

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 9:10 PM
  • No problem - pleased your problem is resolved.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 11:25 PM
  • Seems the problem was a corrupted homegroup. Leaving the homegroup and then rejoining solved the problem.

It had nothing to do with the lack of the  UEFI hotfix - all our disks use MBR.

Regards

Mike

Friday, October 30, 2015 10:25 AM