none
restoring deleted files RRS feed

• Question

• I just used synctoy as my IT support had advised, to synch from my normal computer to a portable hard drive to make a backup. Instead of backing up it seems to have deleted a large number of files. How can I get them back? There is nothing in my recycle bin.

It's just a normal laptop with windows XP. I chose 'synchronise'

Monday, April 5, 2010 2:02 PM

All replies

• Try to use some professional file restore tools firstly.

I am wondering why this happen, what is the detail scenario? Could you provide more here, is there error log in SyncToyLog.log file?

Could you have a try to repro this problem after you manually copy your file as backup, in case making lost for your files.

Before you do the repro, change synctoy 's logging setting as below:   

Verbose Logging

SyncToy supports a verbose level of logging for helping troubleshoot issues you may be having during synchronization operatons. To enable verbose logging, you'll need to manually edit the configuration file named SyncToy.config under the SyncToy install location (by default installed to "%PROGRAMFILES%\SyncToy 2.1"). Open the SyncToy.config file in your favorite text editor and change the value property of the SyncToyTraceLevel switch from "Info" to "Verbose", e.g.:

add name="SyncToyTraceLevel" value="Verbose"

Really appreciate your info and repro, hope with your help we can find the root reason and avoid to happen again!

As such delete really is big disaster.

Thanks,

Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 7:02 AM