Transfer XP to a new machine - old one dead ! RRS feed

• Question

• I built a PC about 10 years ago and upgraded it over the years, and eventually bought an OEM disk with something that wouldn't work on '98 and installed XP Home a few years ago... The hardware has died on me - terminally, I can't recover any of the data off the disk, luckily the important stuff's backed up elsewhere :) I now intend buying a reconditioned modern PC off eBay for much less than I can buy all the parts to make myself a new machine ! Can I just transfer the XP licence to this new machine as the other one's totally dead ? TIA Nick
    Friday, January 13, 2012 11:38 PM

Answers

• "nickw7coc" wrote in message news:a7f9f526-b2d3-4765-a367-43166fc679eb...
    Mm, so even though I didn't buy Windows XP with the full PC but as a disk with licence when buying another bit of kit, and that bit of kit is still working, the license of Windows is considered dead ? How can that work ? How is it possible for MS to work out that the piece of hardware that I bought at the same time as the Windows license is working or not... ? There is surely no way for anyone to be able to do this ? Why can I not transfer Windows to another machine when the one it's currently installed on is totally and utterly dead - won't turn on as the PSU / MB / HD are all dead due to a power spike ?! Surely as there is no earthly way I can use that machine, I should be able to buy / build a new machine and install Windows on it as there's no way the original machine can work ?

Your Product ID is a ‘Hash’ of the Product Key, and the Hardware ID of the system – MS records the Hardware hash at the time of activation, and if that changes significantly between activations, it will disallow normal activation.

If you read the small print on the OEM SB license, and in the EULA, you would have seen there that OEM Licenses are not transferable between machines.

Only Retail license can be transferred between machines, or to new motherboards in the same machine unless motherboard replacement is done under warranty conditions by the manufacturer.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 11:19 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately, OEM Windows licenses are non-transferable to a different computer.  If the computer dies, so does the OEM license.
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, January 13, 2012 11:48 PM
  • Mm, so even though I didn't buy Windows XP with the full PC but as a disk with licence when buying another bit of kit, and that bit of kit is still working, the license of Windows is considered dead ? How can that work ? How is it possible for MS to work out that the piece of hardware that I bought at the same time as the Windows license is working or not... ? There is surely no way for anyone to be able to do this ? Why can I not transfer Windows to another machine when the one it's currently installed on is totally and utterly dead - won't turn on as the PSU / MB / HD are all dead due to a power spike ?! Surely as there is no earthly way I can use that machine, I should be able to buy / build a new machine and install Windows on it as there's no way the original machine can work ?
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 11:46 PM
  • "nickw7coc" wrote in message news:a7f9f526-b2d3-4765-a367-43166fc679eb...
    Mm, so even though I didn't buy Windows XP with the full PC but as a disk with licence when buying another bit of kit, and that bit of kit is still working, the license of Windows is considered dead ? How can that work ? How is it possible for MS to work out that the piece of hardware that I bought at the same time as the Windows license is working or not... ? There is surely no way for anyone to be able to do this ? Why can I not transfer Windows to another machine when the one it's currently installed on is totally and utterly dead - won't turn on as the PSU / MB / HD are all dead due to a power spike ?! Surely as there is no earthly way I can use that machine, I should be able to buy / build a new machine and install Windows on it as there's no way the original machine can work ?

Your Product ID is a ‘Hash’ of the Product Key, and the Hardware ID of the system – MS records the Hardware hash at the time of activation, and if that changes significantly between activations, it will disallow normal activation.

If you read the small print on the OEM SB license, and in the EULA, you would have seen there that OEM Licenses are not transferable between machines.

Only Retail license can be transferred between machines, or to new motherboards in the same machine unless motherboard replacement is done under warranty conditions by the manufacturer.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 11:19 AM