WHS 2011 (Full) - Backup Question RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded (re-installed) to WHS 2011.  I am very disappointed with the backup solution thus far.  Hopefully it is just my lack of knowing how to use at this point.  Hopefully someone can help.

1.  How can I manually invoke the cleanup routine to get rid of backups that I have marked for deletion?  This was easily done in the settings of WHS.

2.  When does the automatic backup run?  I see where I can set the time but where can I tell it to automatically perform the backup on a regular basis?  I found where I can kick off the backup manually but so far - Automatic backup attempted once and after it failed (as it could not communicate with the client) it has no longer performed an automatic backup.

3.  WHS 2011 does not wake up the computers as WHS did.  (Yes I have checked off the setting on the client to wake up for backup) - So what am I missing?  With WHS generally any request from WHS would wake up the computer - now no request coming from WHS 2011 will wake up the computer.

Thanks

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1. From the WHS remote desktop, start the Task Schedular.
    Check the schedule named "Cleanup" under Microsoft->Windows->Windows Server.
    You can manually strat it from there

2. Automatic backups run "some time" during the nightly backup window. Default backup window I beleave is set from 00:00 to 06:00 (Note the "some time", don't be surprised if backup only starts at the end of the window set). You can change this througjh the Dashboard settings for backup.

(Also note that WHS as to notify the client on a change in the backup window. Not sure when that hapens but I would not be surprised if the client needsa restart for this?)

3. Automatic backups are not initiated from the server. Clients are woken by a local wakeup event set by WHS.
    So look for the problem on the client - maybe by checking the eventlist or through the powercfg commandline tool to find out what is the problem.

Are clients backing up when not going into sleep or hibernation during the WHS nightly backup window?
    Can you initiate a backup manually througn the client Launchpad?

Additionally to this, could you please report any problems "Connect"?
    This may help you solve a problem or maybe solve problems in the product if they excist.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Serve
    • Marked as answer by stanglx Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:02 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by stanglx Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:02 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Hi,

1. From the WHS remote desktop, start the Task Schedular.
    Check the schedule named "Cleanup" under Microsoft->Windows->Windows Server.
    You can manually strat it from there

2. Automatic backups run "some time" during the nightly backup window. Default backup window I beleave is set from 00:00 to 06:00 (Note the "some time", don't be surprised if backup only starts at the end of the window set). You can change this througjh the Dashboard settings for backup.

(Also note that WHS as to notify the client on a change in the backup window. Not sure when that hapens but I would not be surprised if the client needsa restart for this?)

3. Automatic backups are not initiated from the server. Clients are woken by a local wakeup event set by WHS.
    So look for the problem on the client - maybe by checking the eventlist or through the powercfg commandline tool to find out what is the problem.

Are clients backing up when not going into sleep or hibernation during the WHS nightly backup window?
    Can you initiate a backup manually througn the client Launchpad?

Additionally to this, could you please report any problems "Connect"?
    This may help you solve a problem or maybe solve problems in the product if they excist.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Serve

1.  Thanks... that seems simple enough.

2. In other words once the machine is defined for backup it will automatically run between the prescribe times that are defined in the "Client Computer Backup Schedule".  This forces all machines to be backed up in a window which you can not control individual machines backup schedule.

Then.. if this is the case - what happens if I dont want automatic backups and ONLY manual backups?  Doesnt make sense...

3.  This point is not clear to me at all.  Typically a WOL is initiated by a Magic Packet (typically the safest).. the Magic packet must originate from some other machine that is lives on the local LAN.  What I can see is that the client machine is no longer being woken up.  Since this feature was working with WHS V1 and immediately stopped working with WHS 2011 I must deduce that WHS 2011 is no longer emitting the proper request to perform a WOL to the client.  Sooo... if this is the case how can I verify OR initiate a force WOL through WHS 2011?

Lastly.. Isnt connect for the beta/RC?  Right now I am using RTM from my MSDN subscription..

Honestly, the entire WHS experience has been very poor from support to removal of functions (and I am not just talking about DE) to some inconsistencies not apparent in WHS1...  If connect still is the forum for these types of suggestions please let me know and I would be more then glad to provide them.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:15 PM
  • 3.  This point is not clear to me at all.  Typically a WOL is initiated by a Magic Packet (typically the safest).. the Magic packet must originate from some other machine that is lives on the local LAN.  What I can see is that the client machine is no longer being woken up.  Since this feature was working with WHS V1 and immediately stopped working with WHS 2011 I must deduce that WHS 2011 is no longer emitting the proper request to perform a WOL to the client.  Sooo... if this is the case how can I verify OR initiate a force WOL through WHS 2011?

You have misinterpreted what Theo has said. The backup "Wakeup" on the client is not initiated by WOL from the server but from a job running on the client's scheduler. WOL is not used in backup at all.

If you wish to wake clients etc. I would suggest you search for the Lights Out addin for WHS 2011. While working with the WHS 2011 RC had a good look at it and although only Beta at that point worked very well. It may or maybe not released yet but the beta works fine.

I have not tried it on the RTM as I have decided whs2011 is not for me. There are too many things that are downgraded from V1.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:37 AM
  • 3.  This point is not clear to me at all.  Typically a WOL is initiated by a Magic Packet (typically the safest).. the Magic packet must originate from some other machine that is lives on the local LAN.  What I can see is that the client machine is no longer being woken up.  Since this feature was working with WHS V1 and immediately stopped working with WHS 2011 I must deduce that WHS 2011 is no longer emitting the proper request to perform a WOL to the client.  Sooo... if this is the case how can I verify OR initiate a force WOL through WHS 2011?

You have misinterpreted what Theo has said. The backup "Wakeup" on the client is not initiated by WOL from the server but from a job running on the client's scheduler. WOL is not used in backup at all.

If you wish to wake clients etc. I would suggest you search for the Lights Out addin for WHS 2011. While working with the WHS 2011 RC had a good look at it and although only Beta at that point worked very well. It may or maybe not released yet but the beta works fine.

I have not tried it on the RTM as I have decided whs2011 is not for me. There are too many things that are downgraded from V1.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home

Ahh... I went back to look at the client and is said "Automatically wake this computer up from sleep or hibernation"...  Wow... so they removed WOL feature completely!!!!  That is horrible!  The more I use WHS 2011 I find another step backward..

Thanks for the info.. i will look to see if there is an addin out there that will do this.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:50 AM
  • Ahh... I went back to look at the client and is said "Automatically wake this computer up from sleep or hibernation"...  Wow... so they removed WOL feature completely!!!!  That is horrible!  The more I use WHS 2011 I find another step backward..

Er - I don't think that WHS V1 uses WOL either - as far as I'm aware, the mechanism has always been for WHS to set up a scheduled task on the clients. That being the case, nothing has changed for WHS 2011.

Think about it - if you have a laptop client, connected by WiFi to the network, the only way that this gets woken up is by a scheduled task. There's no such thing as WOL for WiFi...

Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:09 AM
  • WOL is not used in the original WHS, it's all client based.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Hi Theo,

How do I locate "Cleanup" under Microsoft>Windows>Windows Server???

Harry

Thursday, April 21, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Hi Theo,

How do I locate "Cleanup" under Microsoft>Windows>Windows Server???

Harry

Look here: http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/windowshomeserver2011/backup-cleanup-2.aspx?ref=search&sl=1
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 3:20 PM