Storage: Recommended layout of drives RRS feed

• Question

• What would be the best configuration for WHS if I had 1 large hdd (1TB) and one smaller hdd (75GB).

Having the OS + Data partition on the largest HDD?
     - Would this help with some additional problems like "Path too deep"?

Or having the OS + Data partition on the smaller hdd so I could more easily wipe it and do a server reinstallation if something were to fail in the future?

Now I understand that currently the data corruption bug can be exposed with multiple HDDs so: do the recommendations of drive configuration change after the PP1 release (i.e. have the small hdd to be the OS and have the large disk only in the storage pool)?

Thanks

Sunday, June 1, 2008 10:42 AM

Answers

• Michael

MS recommends the largest drive be your primary drive - and that will be the same with Power Pack 1.

I would recommend having multiple drives certainly - although given the price of drives I would defintely recommend something other than 75GB as your only other drive. Sure, have it in there, but get something else as well.

Andrew

Sunday, June 1, 2008 11:03 AM
  • Surely you meant 750GB?

I wouldn't bother with a 75GB when coupled with a 1TB, 500+GB drives are pretty cheap nowadays.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:36 AM

All replies

• Michael

MS recommends the largest drive be your primary drive - and that will be the same with Power Pack 1.

I would recommend having multiple drives certainly - although given the price of drives I would defintely recommend something other than 75GB as your only other drive. Sure, have it in there, but get something else as well.

Andrew

Sunday, June 1, 2008 11:03 AM
  • Surely you meant 750GB?

I wouldn't bother with a 75GB when coupled with a 1TB, 500+GB drives are pretty cheap nowadays.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:36 AM