API to confirm WGA? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to write some software that should only be run on brand new computers that have WGA working on it. There doesn't appear to be any published way to determine that it has been activated from a script. Do I have to hack the Windows Validation Assistant and hope that it doesn't change much over time?

I'm a bit puzzled by this omission since Microsoft has had to work so hard to try to prove that WGA is actually a benefit. You'd think that they would try to provide as many benefits as possible with it!
    Thursday, September 7, 2006 3:31 PM

Answers

• Fred:

Currently, we do not have any slated plans to open the WGA API to external (non-MS) based customers. There are current talks of investigating opening the API ot external customers, but not yet :).

What do you have in mind? Hacking the WGA Validation Assistant, WGA Validation, or WGA Notifications won't really work. :)

-phil

Friday, September 8, 2006 12:27 AM

All replies

• Fred:

Currently, we do not have any slated plans to open the WGA API to external (non-MS) based customers. There are current talks of investigating opening the API ot external customers, but not yet :).

What do you have in mind? Hacking the WGA Validation Assistant, WGA Validation, or WGA Notifications won't really work. :)

-phil

Friday, September 8, 2006 12:27 AM
  • Dear Phil

I am not a hacker .I know that Microsoft is the symbol of trust and I am very hopeful that my problem wil be solved.Thank you verymuch for the assistance you providded ,but swallow me that at the time of downloading the product key there was the dialogue box that one of the file was corrupted and asked whether I wanted to continue or not.I continued but the downloading didnot start.

Yours sincerely

Saroj

Friday, September 8, 2006 6:37 AM
  • Dear Fred ,

I am really sorry for the misunderstanding caused by my side.

The problem in my computer is that  I just bought this computer five months ago.

I hadnot realised that I have the non genuine Windows .I tried to download the Internet explorer from liveupdate but I kwew that I had put my step over a large hole.

I wish to format the drive and to install a new genuine version of Wndows.If my problem is unsolved.

Thank you Verymuch.I beg pardon for the problem and trouble I gave you.

Saroj

Friday, September 8, 2006 6:46 AM
  •  Phil Liu MSFT wrote:

Fred:

-phil

That doesn't sound good for me. I was hoping to make my software run only on computers that have WGA working. There isn't a way to tell if WGA has successfully verified the windows copy? It has to work on future versions of Windows as well, so a kludge to get around your restrictions isn't really a serious option for me.
    Friday, September 8, 2006 2:56 PM
  •  FredDev wrote:
     Phil Liu MSFT wrote:

Fred:

-phil

That doesn't sound good for me. I was hoping to make my software run only on computers that have WGA working. There isn't a way to tell if WGA has successfully verified the windows copy? It has to work on future versions of Windows as well, so a kludge to get around your restrictions isn't really a serious option for me.

The WGA Diagnostics tool can determine this, or by simply going to www.microsoft.com/genuine ...

Friday, September 8, 2006 10:23 PM
  •  Phil Liu MSFT wrote:
    FredDev wrote:
    Phil Liu MSFT wrote:

Fred:

-phil

The WGA Diagnostics tool can determine this, or by simply going to www.microsoft.com/genuine ...

Are there command line options to run MGADiag autonomously? I have to find out the answer from a script that is run without human intervention.

Friday, September 8, 2006 10:59 PM
  • Fred:

The WGA/MGA Diagnostics program is a downloadable that doesn't come with a clean Windows installation.

You could make a launch script to launch the computer to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/Validate.aspx and it'll run WGA Validation.

-phil

Saturday, September 9, 2006 12:49 AM