Should I migrate from NT Server 4.0 Domain to WHS Workgroup? RRS feed

• Question

• Happy New Year! I currently have a NT Server 4.0 file server, which is also a Primary Domain Controller (PDC) in my home network. I need to migrate to WHS since there is no antivirus software for the NT Server and new hardware does not have drivers for the OS. I understand that WHS cannot be a controller, but it can join an existing NT Domain. I have successfully done this trial.

My questions are:

1. Any positives in keeping the NT Server domain alive? I can move the domain to a small desktop computer just to be the PDC.

2. Any negatives? One I saw is that Windows 7 does not support being a member of a NT PDC.

3. If I am to migrate, how to I migrate the Windows XP desktop profiles from domain to workgroup? If I remember correctly, if I change the XP PC from Domain membership to Workgroup mode, the current desktop profiles would disappear, which would be horrible since my families' desktop settings are currently in these profiles (e.g. Outlook accounts, etc.) and would be gone.

Thanks in advanced.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:30 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server will break (in a few days) if joined to a domain; the version of Windows Server 2003 it's built on requires that it be the PDC if it's in a domain. Leave it outside the domain; it can still back up comain-joined computers.

And if you really have a need for a domain at home, consider upgrading to Windows Server 2008 R2 for the DC.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by treet007 Monday, January 17, 2011 9:26 PM
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Well, Outlook .pst files are pretty easy; you can copy them around as you please. That gets your email store. Not everything is in the .pst file, though: accounts, rules, etc. are all in the registry under the individual profile and can't easily be copied as far as I know.
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:40 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server will break (in a few days) if joined to a domain; the version of Windows Server 2003 it's built on requires that it be the PDC if it's in a domain. Leave it outside the domain; it can still back up comain-joined computers.

And if you really have a need for a domain at home, consider upgrading to Windows Server 2008 R2 for the DC.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Thanks Ken. Unfortunately, I cannot afford Windows Server 2008 R2, otherwise I would just pay for the Action Pack under the Microsoft Partnership ($499).

So, I will need to kill the NT PDC. Any suggestions about my #3 question?

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Well, Outlook .pst files are pretty easy; you can copy them around as you please. That gets your email store. Not everything is in the .pst file, though: accounts, rules, etc. are all in the registry under the individual profile and can't easily be copied as far as I know.
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:40 AM