Help - Cannot cancel Hotmail account due to "microsoft points being linked"?

• Hi team,

I'd like to close this email address permanently, I have discovered it has been hacked and I have not used it for a long time. However when I try to close it, I get an error message saying that the account is linked to microsoft points, and in order to close hotmail, I need to close the points account first.

I have never used Microsoft Points in my life, and I don't know why it is linked to my account?

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

The email address is

Sunday, July 10, 2011 10:02 PM

All replies

• first sign intoi ur account then go to :- 

Please try closing your account again through this link: 

Note: Copy and paste the URL on your browser's address bar.

you can view this thread on 

Thursday, July 14, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Hi, I also seem to have the same problem :( My hotmail account has been hacked and all my and personal details have been taken.

I am trying to close my hotmail account as i have been instructed by the police to do so, also  i cant afford for these people to do this again, however when i try to close it i also have the same message as above :( i also get an error message saying that the account is linked to microsoft points, and in order to close hotmail, I need to close the points account first.

I also have never used Microsoft Points in my life, and have no 'paid services linked to this account. 

I desperatley need to close this account, could you please help?

The hotmail account is qestion is

Many Thanks.

Sunday, July 17, 2011 6:05 PM
  • Hello, thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me - I copy and pasted the link you provided above, but I got the following error message:

Close your Account

To close your Windows Live Hotmail account, you must first cancel your billing service. Go to Microsoft Account and Billing Services at
    However, I do not have any billing services with Microsoft - when I clicked the link, I got this next message:

No billing accounts

This Windows Live ID does not currently have a billing relationship with Microsoft. MSN offers a variety of services that you may subscribe to. For more information, go to .

Please Help <3

Sunday, July 17, 2011 10:42 PM
  • This forum is for a blog software called Windows Live Writer. For help in Windows Live Id, visit

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:11 PM
  • One or more paid services or a Microsoft Points account is linked to your account. To close this account, make sure each service is canceled and your Microsoft Points account is closed.

I am having that problem too and have been trying to figure out what is going on as it is really pissing me off as I want it completely closed. Mine was probably hacked too then as I have never used Microsoft Points either and you would think this would be fixed by now. There has to be a way to get rid of our accounts. My acct email I want closed is and I have been searching google for answers and so far nothing has helped. 

Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:25 AM
  • Same problem here. Never had any points account or anything ever. Seems the spammer does and links to accounts it uses.

No wonder most people left Hotmail in droves. Same thing happening right now with Yahoo sending spam from dead peoples accounts.

Thursday, December 08, 2011 5:31 AM
  • I am having the same issue too. My solution is to DISCONTINUE the use of ALL Microsoft accounts and not even bother to continue the run around circle game.

:) Am also looking forward to the day when Chrome OS or Firefox OS is available.

Monday, February 20, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Has anyone resolved this issue? I'm having the same problem and have received no response whatsoever from microsoft!
    Thursday, March 08, 2012 9:15 AM
  • Having the same issue as of today.  I recently logged back into the account (an old one I used professionally several years ago) and changed the personal info so that anyone who got an email from that account would know it did not come from me. 

People in that contact list received a junk mail with a link to a get-rich-quick scheme.

Notice the endless point-and-click loop at the Hotmail site is a sad joke when it comes to resolving this issue.  The most I've been able to do is change the personal info attached to the account but not delete it. 

I had been a Hotmail Plus account holder too.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:28 PM