cannot login to fixit online using IE8 under Win 7 RRS feed

• Question

• All patches in, I cannot login successfully to Fixit online using IE8 under Win 7. However it is successful when I use Firefox. I always get a message that the service is unavailble and to try later. I have cleared the cache etc. I can login using the same Live ID everywhere else. http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com always produces the following error - The Windows Live Network is unavailable from this site for one of the following reasons:

This site may be experiencing a problem
    The site may not be a member of the Windows Live Network
    Seymour
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 3:25 PM

Answers

• Clearing the cookies solved the problem for me.
    Seymour
    • Marked as answer by sunriseccscc Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:46 PM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:46 PM

All replies

• Dear Seymour,

Do you mind if you try the following experiment? 

1) Go to IE Tools Menu->Internet Options->General Tab->Browsing History->Delete...   check "Preserve favourite website data", "Temporarily Internet Files", "Cookies", "History"... and delete.

2) Go to IE Tools Menu->Internet Options->Advanced Tab.  You will see a button that say: "Reset Internet Explorer Settings".

I'm not exactly sure the root cause of the problem, but I have a suspicion that it might be due to some corrupted cookies on your IE browser.  In that case, following the above step to clean the cookies may help.

Regards,

Clement

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:10 AM
  • WRT #1, I had already done that before posting. I even went through and deleted all cookies that contain 'support' and 'microsoft'. I do not want todelete all the cookies and that will affect my banking etc.

If there are particular cookies that I should delete, please let me know.

I started IE without addons to no avail.

I prefer not to reset all IE settings at this time.

As written in another topic elsewhere in this site, upon checking the privacy report, I get that two cookies related to fixitcenter are always blocked. I tried IE with no restictions on the cookies and that made no difference.

Seymour
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:24 AM
  • Any other suggestions?
    Seymour
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Clearing the cookies solved the problem for me.
    Seymour
    • Marked as answer by sunriseccscc Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:46 PM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:46 PM