2010 Out of date out of box!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I bought S&T for the simple reason to export my route to my GPS due to my 2006 Map point wont.  My 2006 map point has a more up to date map  then the 2010 S&T.  No update for maps?  This is trash.  Any help?
    Monday, February 28, 2011 12:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Dukedog,

That's really odd. Could you provide an example? Recently, there was a new Streets&Trips 2011 released, and I can check for you if there has been an improvement from version 2010.

Laptop GPS World
    Monday, February 28, 2011 11:18 AM
  • I bought S&T for the simple reason to export my route to my GPS due to my 2006 Map point wont.  My 2006 map point has a more up to date map  then the 2010 S&T.  No update for maps?  This is trash.  Any help?

I've got the same problem well not with the 2006 but the 2008 version it has more information and maps than 2010. I am going in neighborhoods that are 5-10 years old and 2010 says they are not there. What's the deal, update construction info and a major highway is still missing that has been open for 2 years now. I'm in the Charlotte area, I know there is a bunch of new construction but whole neighborhoods are missing. Go to google maps or even bing it pulls them right up no problem. Can't get it to go into s&t 2010 there should be new road updates till the end of 2010 or a final update at the launch of 2011.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:45 PM
  • I just installed S&T 2011, and the maps are out of date, I am not able to find a way to update the maps. Any ideas??
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:20 PM
  • I expect them to be about three years old. Can you return for a refund?
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:25 PM
  • just bought it on line from Microsoft about 2 hours, returnable I doubt it.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:37 PM
  • I too have the 2008 version.  The subdivision I live in is only partially shown on the map, and of course the area I live in is not included.  Went to the support site and was thoroughly disgusted to learn that I can't update the maps at all.  WHAT A RIP...  After reading these comments I'm also not going to be purchasing the latest version either.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:32 PM
  • Unfortunately, economic reality would suggest that up-dating mapping data bases has a cost.  So then, the question might be who should bear the cost, the company that compiles the information or the consumers of the information?  No business model works for a provider of goods and services paying the costs and not getting reimbursed by the consumer. 

In the case of Streets and Trips, it seems that Microsoft buys the mapping data from another company, Mapquest.  Surely, Mapquest has a price Microsoft must pay to get new, fresher maps.  Microsoft then passes that on to the purchasers of its products.  If you want a fresh map, unfortunately it has a cost to produce and you have to pay.  There is no realistic point in expecting Microsoft or Mapquest to eat the costs.  If either did, they would not last very long and would not be in a position to provide the products and services they do.

The only other thing I would point out is that Streets and Trips is actually a combination of the maps I reference above and an evolving user interface that is actually Microsoft's engineering.  Over the years, Mircosoft has listened to users like you and me and have refined the product to the point where it is today, helping thousands of navigating consumers. 

Of course, what you are doing  -  refraining from purchasing a newer version of Streets and Trips  -  is exactly the right thing for you to do.  By now, you do not need its help in finding your new home in your new subdivision so S&T 2011 is not going to be of much help in that regard.  Obviously, if you don't need it, you shouldn't buy it.  So, Microsoft has no gun to your head and is not ripping you off if you exercise your consumer's right not to buy the product. 

I am sure the following is of no particular interest to you but pretty much everyone agrees that S&T 2011 is better than S&T 2008 even leaving aside its more up-to-date maps.  And so is S&T 2010 which can be found on the internet for somewhat less although if doesn't have the absolutely latest maps.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:28 AM
  • ... thoroughly disgusted to learn that I can't update the maps at all.

Hi Mamagull,

This product never had downloadable map updates (but it would certainly be nice). However, Microsoft releases a new version approximately once per year. A new version includes new map data and usually new features and bug fixes to the software itself. This product is rather inexpensive, in some cases it can be cheaper than what other product vendors would charge just for new map data.

Laptop GPS World

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:32 PM