Sync Designer/SSCE Version Problems with Orcas Beta 1 RRS feed

• Question

• I wrote a fairly large Sync Services/Sync Designer test harness in Orcas March 2007 CTP which, except for synchronizing client side inserts to server tables with identity primary keys, worked well. This blog post shows the March 2007 CTP version in action: A Sync Services Bidirectional Test Harness.

Updating the project to Beta 1 uncovered several serious problems with the Sync designer. Orcas Beta 1 is installed on a new (clean) partition of a Dell 400SC under Vista (not a VPC). Machine.config has the following two entries for SSCE: 

Code Snippet
          <add name="Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.SqlServerCe.3.5" description=".NET Framework Data Provider for Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition" type="System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeProviderFactory, System.Data.SqlServerCe, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91"/>
          <add name="Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition Client Data Provider" invariant="Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client.3.5" description=".NET Framework Data Provider for Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition Client" type="Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client.SqlCeClientFactory, Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91"/>

which appear to correctly define providers for the current 3.5 version of SSCE. Following are the more significant issues/problems, which apply to any project I create with the Sync Designer in Beta 1:

1. The Sync Designer no longer lets you select the sync direction, but I set that in code. I'm mystified why this option was removed.

2. The Sync Designer behaves as usual, but generates an SDF file without CreatedDate and LastEditDate. This causes client-to-server sync to fail with missing parameter values.

3. I can connect to the generated SDF file and Show Table Values but cannot manually add the fields with Server Explorer's Edit Table Schema. I receive a "DDL Operations are not allowed on system tables" error message. The version on the Connection String property sheet is 3.5.0.0 as expected.

4. I can't connect to the generated SDF file with SSMSEE SP2. I receive a "You are trying to connect to an older version of a SQL Server Compact Edition database. ..."

5. There are many breaking changes to the SyncProgressEventArgs. The Current property which returned the current DataRow is gone, apparently replaced with e.TableProgress.DataTable.Rows(e.TableProgress.RowIndex), although I can't be sure at the moment.

I badly need a workaround for the "older version" and missing date fields problems.

--rj

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 10:48 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Roger,

With respect to (5), yes the RowIndex replaced the old property and your usage is correct. This makes the TableProgress object XML-serializable.

I am looking at the other issues. Please note that most changes to runtime and designer are coming in beta 2.0.

Thanks!

Friday, May 4, 2007 6:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Roger,

With respect to (5), yes the RowIndex replaced the old property and your usage is correct. This makes the TableProgress object XML-serializable.

I am looking at the other issues. Please note that most changes to runtime and designer are coming in beta 2.0.

Thanks!

Friday, May 4, 2007 6:44 PM
  • Rafik,

Thanks.

I added foreign-key constraints, compacted, and validated the database with code with no problem, but still receive the same version-related error messages.

The Sample Northwind.sdf file in \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.5\Samples doesn't exhibit the problems in Server Explorer or SSMSEE.

I might be able to work around the problem by substituting the sample Northwind.sdf file, but I need to know the current/future status of the designer as soon as possible. 

--rj

Friday, May 4, 2007 10:15 PM
  • Here's more on the issue with SSMSX refusing to open SSCE v3.5 files from the SSCE forum:

Bad Error Message Connecting to SSCE v3.5 from Orcas Beta 1 in SS...

Saturday, May 12, 2007 6:48 PM
  • I just wanted to follow up on a couple of the issues that Roger mentioned in his first message.  I am not using Orcas, but downloaded the Sync Services Beta and had these issues also.

3)  It was stated in a previous post that this was by design in the CTP, but would be fixed before release.  Is this still part of the plans?  I have had to use the workaround of deleting\recreating the database a couple of times and it is a bit of a hassle.

4)  Is an update to SQL Management Studio 2005 going to be released that will make it compatible with SQL Compact 3.5 or is this something that will only be available in Visual Studio Orcas and the next version of SQL Server Management Studio?

Thanks,

Daniel

Thursday, May 17, 2007 1:10 PM