does anybody know how to get rid of windows police pro? RRS feed

• General discussion

• this virus has firewalled my laptop so much that i cant even get on the internet to download anything to help me? any suggestions? its windows xp
    • Moved by Whosane002 Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:34 AM (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile Feedback)
    • Changed type Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Thursday, October 8, 2009 8:30 AM off topic = WLOC
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Thursday, October 8, 2009 8:31 AM off topic (From:Windows Live OneCare Anti-Virus)
    Monday, October 5, 2009 10:47 PM

All replies

•  

For help with virus removal, contact the maker of your Antivirus program.

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx for details. For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 8:31 AM
  • Yes. Here is how, beginning with description of the problem;

Windows Police Pro is a "malware" program that makes itself look like your Windows XP
    Security Center. It's pretty convincing in making you think WinXP is alerting you to an
    infection. XP has not alerted you, and Police Pro will disable access to your Windows XP
    Security Center - no need to go there to disable it in any case.

(This malware may have a different name also, same malware, same fix)

Windows Police Pro is trying to fool you into clicking any button within it's window, so it
    can launch a virus. If you haven't yet, DO NOT CLICK IT ANYWHERE!

1)  Turn off your internet connection
    2)  Hit Control+Alt+Delete and your Windows Task Manager will come up
    3)  on the Processes tab, highlight your browser program and click "end process"

Keep disregarding the Windows Police Pro windows and taskbar icons. Do not click them
    in any way.

4) Try to go back online. Download a program called Malwarebytes. Link is  http://malwarebytes.org/
    This program is similar to a virus scanner, and will delete Windows Police Pro

The Windows Police Pro malware knows this, and in some cases has programmed your browser to
    redirect elsewhere when you try to go to malwarebytes.org. So pay attention when you go there,
    and again close off your browser with the Windows Task Manager if this happens.

5) Go back online again, and download the Google Chrome browser if your browser will not get you
    to malwarebytes.org. Here is the link (sorry Bill, Chrome is more secure than MSIE) -  http://www.google.com/chrome?hl=en&brand=CHMI

6) Now you should be able to download Malwarebytes. Get it and get back offline, close all browsers.
    (if you already had Chrome and can't get to malwarebytes.org, you could conceivably work the
    process above and get a fresh browser program from Firefox, Netscape, etc)

7) Run Malwarebytes full scan. It will find Windows Police Pro and remove it. Run the update button
    on Malwarebytes and insure a fresh definitions file is on your Malwarebytes program (they update daily).
    If it updated from your definitions you got with the download, run Malwarebytes again.

I killed Windows Police Pro that way. If you clicked anything in it's windows, you probably got a virus
    our of it.

Windows Police Pro will also disable your anti-virus software, so again to get at that and remove the virus
    it gave you, you need to download a new anti-virus program somehow (different brand). Or maybe
    buy one at a software store, install and use their live-update feature (keep browsers closed while it
    updates). Last option; reformat your harddrive to remove it if needed.

I have gotten it twice online, once just simply through my ISP and not at a website. The key is the initial
    moves to interrupt it which I state above. If you do those, it will not go further and your Malwarebytes program
    remains accessible for future kills. Keep it updated.

I look forward to the arrest of the piece of garbage behind Windows Police Pro. You'll be found, moron...

---
    Friday, October 16, 2009 8:49 PM
  • HELP!!!

Was just infected yesterday...I have tried every fix I could find on-line.  I am unable to sucessufully download any programs with an .exe file.  I have even tried to change the names of files with a .exe to a .com, however, when the process gets to a .exe everything haults.  I cannot get into the task manager in any fashion and cannot get into the registry to edit or delete files as it says that action has been disabled by admin.  I can get into cmd but again, can't get into registry.

Today, I am noticing that some help sites I could get to yesterday I can't get to today or I get a pop-up that looks like an ad and then my browser shuts down. 

Am I totally screwed or is there a way to get rid of this thing?  Someone, pleae help!!

Thanks,
    Susan
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 1:45 PM
  • Susan,

I also got WPP yesterday 10/19/09 and have been working to get rid of it.

I have Windows XP Pro.

I am able to open exe files by using explorer and right clicking on the file and choosing "Run as", then select administrator and entering the administrator's password. 

taskmgr.exe runs task manager program

regedit.exe runs registry editor

But WPP has hidden all system files and I am not able to delete the listed files.

I ran Spybot SD and it found WPP, but could not remove it. I downloaded malwarebytes, but it will not run.

Thats all I got so far.

Michael

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:12 PM