System Tray Icon Management Needs to be Improved RRS feed

• Question

• I have 4 PCs connected to my test WHS. On several of them the WHS tray icon behaves badly. For example: backups are complete but the icon stays yellow and Alert! until the PC is rebooted. On that same PC the "backup progress" dialog box sticks at 100% for hours and needs to be closed manually.

Also - whether or not a user gets ALL the warning popup balloons should be configurable. Most likely there will be at most one or two users in the house that will deal with them, and everybody else will just get unduly alarmed by the messages. Some of the messages themselves are not too smart. For example: one of my test PCs is a laptop. It Connected fine and backed up fine twice, then I turned it off. After two days all the other PCs got serious sounding Alerts! that the laptop was not backed up for 2 days. Duh, it was off. If the system is going to complain about that it should at least check to see if the PC is even available.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 11:20 AM

All replies

• I agree, the % complete backup window that pops up does not match what is shown if you select the systray status icon and the whole way the network status indicator works is unreliable.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 2:51 PM
  • Saturday, March 17, 2007 6:32 PM
  • I agree that the system tray icon can be irritating with regard to backups.

There should be an option to be able to turn off or ignore missed backups for a period of time for certain PC's.

Or alert the user when a PC connects to the network that it has not been backed up for X number of days, then be able to ignore or backup.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 10:00 PM
  • Same here.

After server and client are rebooted, the icon says me, my system is at high riskt (No Anti Virus, No Anti Spyware, etc). After some time, it is really checking and turning the icon green. But this red icon with popup before correct check is not really helpful.
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 10:56 PM
  • I agree too, I run Live One care but the WHS connector loads earlier in the boot procees than one care so the PC flashes up loads of warning messages about the status being critical. Now i know what is going on here but my wife doesn't and I'm sure as we are supposed to be getting a system that is idiot proof then this error message flasing up when it doesn't need to will cause alarm.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 11:50 AM
  • What also bugs me is when I close the lid of my laptop, my MCE will give a pop up that Anti-Virus is not running on my laptop... And that's correct BECAUSE I'm shutting my laptop down. So my laptop is shutting down all kinds of services... And this is really annoying when watching tv or something, I have to get up to click the message-box away.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 12:21 PM
  • Other issues:

if I unplug my laptop and then plug it back in (fromt the wired network) it often comes up with a "WHS does nto recognize this account" error. Logging off and back on clears that up.

I ran a manual backup. At the end it reported Failure! See details on the console... On the consoel it reports Success! Again, after logging of that accoutn and back on the system tray icon is again a happy green.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 1:42 PM
  • I agree with both points discussed so far.  I am running Norton 360 on my Windows Vista system and I get those annoying "critical" alerts because WHS console finishes booting before Norton 360 and reports that I have no virus or spyware protection.  I also have to wait a L - O - N - G time after completing a manual backup before the tray icon turns green again.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 8:36 PM
  • I was just about to add a feed on this same topic at the moment the icon on 2 of my PC's say that I am at risk but the WHS say all is OK??????

I have also had problems with unknown user names not sure if I sorted it as I checked the box "don't remind me about this problem".

does need a bit of work on this being a live update along with the option to stop messsages from account (if my wife tells me there is a problem with my MCE PC I think I make a real problem).....

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 5:40 PM
  • I'll add my 2 cents:

I have a laptop I use exclusively on business trips. It can be turned off 2 to 4 weeks between trips. Before I leave I fire it up, recharge the battery and get the latest Windows updates and virus definitions.

Home Server starts yelling after two days that I need to back it up. We really need a way to set the backup frequency for each account. It makes more sense for me to do the laptop manually. I realize that goes against the stated purpose, but it's either that or be able to set the backup frequency to something that makes sense on how this laptop is used. I bet there's lots of other occasional laptop users out there too.

I agree better icon management would help with this.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 7:53 PM