Can I use the PC Restore to a Smaller HDD? RRS feed

• Question

• My existing HTPC OS drive is playing up (data is over the network) and I was thinking of going to a Laptop Drive to save on power / heat etc.  I've seen plenty of posts about WHS used to go to a bigger drive but as this drive only has around 50GB used, can I go to a Smaller drive?

Thanks
    Nathan
    Friday, February 27, 2009 10:06 PM

Answers

• In theory yes, at least if specific circumstances are met. 

Normally these conditions are not met on client PC's. If you really want to do this you should get hold of defrag software such as Perfectdisk, then defrag using settings that will that will completely defrag ALL free space and move ALL data to the beginning of the disk, then run backup again, and restore from this backup. Please note that this may cause a very significant increase in the size of your backup database (and also time of the first backup after defrag).

If you want to reduce power consumption and heat production I would advise you to have a look at WD Greenpoint Disks. These (high capacity) disks combine low power consumption with very quiet operation.

• Marked as answer by jmone Saturday, February 28, 2009 12:14 AM
    Friday, February 27, 2009 11:57 PM

All replies

• In theory yes, at least if specific circumstances are met. 

Normally these conditions are not met on client PC's. If you really want to do this you should get hold of defrag software such as Perfectdisk, then defrag using settings that will that will completely defrag ALL free space and move ALL data to the beginning of the disk, then run backup again, and restore from this backup. Please note that this may cause a very significant increase in the size of your backup database (and also time of the first backup after defrag).

If you want to reduce power consumption and heat production I would advise you to have a look at WD Greenpoint Disks. These (high capacity) disks combine low power consumption with very quiet operation.

• Marked as answer by jmone Saturday, February 28, 2009 12:14 AM
    Friday, February 27, 2009 11:57 PM
  • Thanks - As I was not sure I've just done an install on a 2.5" 320gb WD Cav Black and it has all gone fine.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 12:14 AM