Restoring a home computer RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to restore one of my client computers, but it cannot locate the home server when I try using the Recovery CD. It is finding the network drivers and storage without a problem, but I have tried using the USB key with the drivers, and that has made no difference. With that failure, I then proceeded to use another client computer to perform the restore with the ClientRestoreWizard.exe, but I am having problems with that, too. I am using the original hard drive from the client computer, but when I go to restore it, it gives me a red -X- indicating that it cannot perform the restore. I looked at the volume sizes and the hard drive reports 190780 MB, but the backup image reports 190781 MB. Why is the backup image 1 MB larger than the drive itself? I have not changed hardware. I have tried reformatting the volume with different block sizes to see if I could get the volumes to match, but I am not having any luck. I do not have any other drives (at the moment) to use for this restore, so I either need to figure out how to get the Recovery CD to recognize the home server, or figure out how to get the volume size to match so I can use the ClientRestoreWizard.exe.
    Mike Mitchell
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 1:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,
    did you need to restore the client after a disk failure including damaged sectors?
    Deleting the partition and creating a new one will map out these damaged clusters, but they may still be missing in the size context.
    What happens, if you delete the disk with diskpart /clean (be very careful using it, since a wrong selection will clean the wrong disk) and create a parition then, does it have the proper size?
    If not, you can try to get a larger disk temporary (could also be a USB drive) and restore to that disk.
    After finishing, use either a 3rd party cloning tool or reduce the size of the volume with diskpart (or disk management, or a 3rd party tool) - depending from your OS and back this disk up again using Windows Home Server.

Now you should be able to restore to the smaller disk,
    Alternatively try the method described in the FAQ How to archive a Client PC Backup from Windows Home Server Backup.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf 

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:46 PM
  • I was messing around with Partition Manager, trying to resize my C: drive and the computer went to sleep or there might have been a power failure during the resizing, so it is not bootable. There are no bad or damaged sectors on the original disk. I am trying to restore to the exact disk that was in the computer before the partitions were corrupted. The backup was from prior to when I was trying to resize them. There is no reason this should not work. I find it very dissapointing that the restore cannot even function to the same drive.
    Mike Mitchell
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:29 AM