PP1 Install Preference RRS feed

• Question

• OK, I know this is a dumb question but here goes.  My WHS has 6 drives and 3.4TB and works just fine thank you after much help from the folks on this forum.

So, do I install the Beta of PP1 to it and tempt fate or do I install it on my test machine that I use for, well, testing stuff?  The question is that the Test machine is on the network that WHS and 8 clients are also on.  If I install the Beta and a new install of WHS on Test will that screw up the rest of the network; i.e, two WHS on the same network?  Told you it was a dumb question but I am not a Geek, just a financial guy.

Thanks.

Friday, May 23, 2008 2:58 PM

Answers

• You can run discovery but the Connector will ask to upgrade; and you should.  I would recommend doing an uninstall of the Connector and a reinstall.  I would also recommend if you decide to use your home server as a tester, you should do a complete backup of your shared folders and backup database.

Always backup before testing, always.

Friday, May 23, 2008 4:55 PM
  •  TMG01 wrote:

OK, I know this is a dumb question but here goes.  My WHS has 6 drives and 3.4TB and works just fine thank you after much help from the folks on this forum.

So, do I install the Beta of PP1 to it and tempt fate or do I install it on my test machine that I use for, well, testing stuff?  The question is that the Test machine is on the network that WHS and 8 clients are also on.  If I install the Beta and a new install of WHS on Test will that screw up the rest of the network; i.e, two WHS on the same network?  Told you it was a dumb question but I am not a Geek, just a financial guy.

Thanks.

The only "dumb question" is the question you don't ask. :-)

Here is how the Windows Home Server team thinks about this:

• All beta testing involves some risk to the beta tester. All software has bugs.
    • Our extensive internal testing of Power Pack 1 to date, which includes a reasonably sized "private beta" (including many MS employees and our partners), leads us to think we have fixed the data corruption bug described in KB946676.  This testing also makes us believe there are not other data loss or data corruption bugs that could either have been introduced by the fix or had already existed in the system.
    • It is impossible to duplicate in our labs the extremely broad range of home server hardware configurations, home network topologies, 3rd party applications, and usage scenarios possible with a product like Windows Home Server.  Therefore, we do not believe the internal testing and private beta testing we have done is sufficient for us to feel we have "proven" that there are no additional bugs. Therefore we are going to run a broad public beta with the goal of getting thousands and thousands of beta testers (with wildly varying configurations, data sets, and usage patterns) to beat on the new code over a significant time period. 
    • The more "real" these beta testers treat the beta, the more realistic the testing and the higher the likely hood that any lingering bugs will be identified.
    • Every beta tester has to evaluate their own situation, factoring in their personal risk-aversion, data set size, and available time to determine how they want to help the Windows Home Server team validate that the bugs have been squashed.
    • We are enabling the beta EULA to allow for "live" use of the beta, but are STRONGLY encouraging beta testers to be absolutely certain that they have back-ups of their files and data.  This is one of the reasons we are notifying you ahead of time that the beta is coming: so beta testers have time to ensure that their data is safely backed up.

To summarize our guidance to beta testers:

• Test the Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 in as real-world a scenario as your risk-aversion level allows you: 
      • If you are only comfortable running it on a secondary home server that is fine. Please do!
      • If you are confident your data is safely backed up and recoverable in the case that the beta causes problems and you are comfortable knowing you may have to take the time to "restore" then run the beta on your "primary".
    • It is *your* responsibility to ensure that your files and data are safely backed up before using the beta. We cannot promise that we missed any bugs...the whole point of doing this public beta is to verify that we did not miss anything.
    • Any behavior you see that gives you concern should be treated as a bug, and you should report that bug via Microsoft Connect including as much information (including logs) as possible. 
    • We will not ship the update until we feel that we have proven that the product meets our quality goals and we cannot feel we have proven this without your help.

Cheers, and thank you for your support!

Friday, May 23, 2008 7:10 PM
  •  haole wrote:

I am not comfortable using my WHS rig as a test PC, thats the only one I have for WHS tho.

I was thinking that I would just pull out the 2- WHS RTM HDDs & put back 1- new one for testing the beta. Once the beta is over then reinstall the 2- WHS RTM HDDs & hope nothing would be changed & my WHS RTM system & back-up would still be good.

Do you think this would be a safe approach or can someone offer something better?

You must have at least 2 hard drives in WHS to see if the corruption bug is fixed or not.

Friday, May 23, 2008 11:36 PM
  •  jolster wrote:
    ^^ Will we be getting install keys for a secondary installation? ^^  Thanks

Yes - If you login to your Connect site you will see the option to generate a key for the WHS software download, to setup a  new WHS installation for the purposes of beta testing PP1, available on the site.

I think the key is tied to your Connect ID and there are numerous warnings about not re-distributing the key to others

Saturday, May 24, 2008 2:18 AM

All replies

•  TMG01 wrote:
    OK, I know this is a dumb question but here goes.  My WHS has 6 drives and 3.4TB and works just fine thank you after much help from the folks on this forum.

So, do I install the Beta of PP1 to it and tempt fate or do I install it on my test machine that I use for, well, testing stuff?

I would never install beta software on a production server.  If you want to use your test machine, I say go for it.

TMG01 wrote:
    The question is that the Test machine is on the network that WHS and 8 clients are also on.  If I install the Beta and a new install of WHS on Test will that screw up the rest of the network; i.e, two WHS on the same network?

Nope, it will work fine.  The only thing to point out is that the connector software on each client PC can only point to 1 WHS at any point in time (i.e. backups, admin console).  If you want to point the connector software to the other WHS, you would have to run discovery.exe again.

TMG01 wrote:
    Told you it was a dumb question but I am not a Geek, just a financial guy.

Thanks.

Friday, May 23, 2008 4:14 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I will install WHS on Test this weekend.  But, I guess I will have to pick one less used client and install the new connector software on it to truly test out the PP1 Beta, right?  And, if I point that client to the Test WHS, it won't screw up the others although they are all on the same network?  In other words, 7 clients connected to the main WHS and i client connected to the Test WHS?  All on the same network.

Friday, May 23, 2008 4:25 PM
  • That would be fine. There is no need to re-install the Connector software for the test client, just run 'discovery.exe' and choose the relevant server.

There will be no problems with then having the two servers and two groups of clients. In fact, the clients grouped with server 'A' will be able to see he shared folders on server 'B' and vice versa. It's just the backups that are directed to a particular server.

Colin

Friday, May 23, 2008 4:41 PM
  •  TMG01 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.  I will install WHS on Test this weekend.  But, I guess I will have to pick one less used client and install the new connector software on it to truly test out the PP1 Beta, right?

Not really. The focus of this beta is not PP1 functionality, though you'll get to play with that too, of course. The primary focus is to test the fix for KB946676. Since the corruption occurs in the shares/file system, there's no need for any client PCs. Any PC can interact with the file system; at worst you have to provide credentials when you try to access the server shares. Anything that you need to do on the server can be done from a remote desktop session or directly through keyboard, monitor and mouse.

If you want to pull one client off your production server (I would, to be honest, just so I could play with the other features), that's your call. You can do that by running discovery.exe on that client (by default it will be in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server) and choosing the server you want to connect to.
    Friday, May 23, 2008 4:42 PM
  • Thanks alot.  I am installing the WHS now and will do just that.  I'll let you know if that works then we will wait for PP1.  Hvae a great Memorial Day weekend.  And please remember what it really means.

Friday, May 23, 2008 4:46 PM
  • You can run discovery but the Connector will ask to upgrade; and you should.  I would recommend doing an uninstall of the Connector and a reinstall.  I would also recommend if you decide to use your home server as a tester, you should do a complete backup of your shared folders and backup database.

Always backup before testing, always.

Friday, May 23, 2008 4:55 PM
  • Well, I am installing WHS on a Test machine as a clean install.  I can't backup my existing WHS as it has 3.4TB of files.  How in  the world would I back it up?  So, I am creating a new WHS just for testing PP1.  I will attempt to connect it to one of my clients just for testing purposes.  That client is already backed up to the main WHS in case it gets corrupted during the testing.  Does this not sound right to you?

Friday, May 23, 2008 4:59 PM
  •  TMG01 wrote:

Thanks.

The only "dumb question" is the question you don't ask. :-)

Here is how the Windows Home Server team thinks about this:

• All beta testing involves some risk to the beta tester. All software has bugs.
    • Our extensive internal testing of Power Pack 1 to date, which includes a reasonably sized "private beta" (including many MS employees and our partners), leads us to think we have fixed the data corruption bug described in KB946676.  This testing also makes us believe there are not other data loss or data corruption bugs that could either have been introduced by the fix or had already existed in the system.
    • It is impossible to duplicate in our labs the extremely broad range of home server hardware configurations, home network topologies, 3rd party applications, and usage scenarios possible with a product like Windows Home Server.  Therefore, we do not believe the internal testing and private beta testing we have done is sufficient for us to feel we have "proven" that there are no additional bugs. Therefore we are going to run a broad public beta with the goal of getting thousands and thousands of beta testers (with wildly varying configurations, data sets, and usage patterns) to beat on the new code over a significant time period. 
    • The more "real" these beta testers treat the beta, the more realistic the testing and the higher the likely hood that any lingering bugs will be identified.
    • Every beta tester has to evaluate their own situation, factoring in their personal risk-aversion, data set size, and available time to determine how they want to help the Windows Home Server team validate that the bugs have been squashed.
    • We are enabling the beta EULA to allow for "live" use of the beta, but are STRONGLY encouraging beta testers to be absolutely certain that they have back-ups of their files and data.  This is one of the reasons we are notifying you ahead of time that the beta is coming: so beta testers have time to ensure that their data is safely backed up.

To summarize our guidance to beta testers:

• Test the Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 in as real-world a scenario as your risk-aversion level allows you: 
      • If you are only comfortable running it on a secondary home server that is fine. Please do!
      • If you are confident your data is safely backed up and recoverable in the case that the beta causes problems and you are comfortable knowing you may have to take the time to "restore" then run the beta on your "primary".
    • It is *your* responsibility to ensure that your files and data are safely backed up before using the beta. We cannot promise that we missed any bugs...the whole point of doing this public beta is to verify that we did not miss anything.
    • Any behavior you see that gives you concern should be treated as a bug, and you should report that bug via Microsoft Connect including as much information (including logs) as possible. 
    • We will not ship the update until we feel that we have proven that the product meets our quality goals and we cannot feel we have proven this without your help.

Cheers, and thank you for your support!

Friday, May 23, 2008 7:10 PM
  • ^^ Will we be getting install keys for a secondary installation? ^^  Thanks
    Friday, May 23, 2008 7:18 PM
  •  

I am not comfortable using my WHS rig as a test PC, thats the only one I have for WHS tho.

I was thinking that I would just pull out the 2- WHS RTM HDDs & put back 1- new one for testing the beta. Once the beta is over then reinstall the 2- WHS RTM HDDs & hope nothing would be changed & my WHS RTM system & back-up would still be good.

Do you think this would be a safe approach or can someone offer something better?

Friday, May 23, 2008 8:03 PM
  •  TMG01 wrote:
    Well, I am installing WHS on a Test machine as a clean install.  I can't backup my existing WHS as it has 3.4TB of files.  How in  the world would I back it up?  So, I am creating a new WHS just for testing PP1.  I will attempt to connect it to one of my clients just for testing purposes.  That client is already backed up to the main WHS in case it gets corrupted during the testing.  Does this not sound right to you?

You're correct.  There is no reason to backup anything on your primary WHS if you are testing PP1 on a second WHS.  (Just make sure you keep the data on the second WHS completely clear of your primary WHS.)  What I would do is take some of the files from your primary WHS and copy them to your secondary WHS (try to get as many file types as possible).  Then, when connecting to the network shares on your secondary WHS, try to break it!!!  Use as many programs listed in KB946676 as possible (and at the same time) to see if you can cause the corruption.

Friday, May 23, 2008 11:31 PM
  •  haole wrote:

You must have at least 2 hard drives in WHS to see if the corruption bug is fixed or not.

Friday, May 23, 2008 11:36 PM
  • OK.  It was a good install and seemd to be working fine on Test WHS.  All updates have been installed so I assume I am ready to go for PP1 Beta!

Saturday, May 24, 2008 12:22 AM
  •  jolster wrote:
    ^^ Will we be getting install keys for a secondary installation? ^^  Thanks

Yes - If you login to your Connect site you will see the option to generate a key for the WHS software download, to setup a  new WHS installation for the purposes of beta testing PP1, available on the site.

I think the key is tied to your Connect ID and there are numerous warnings about not re-distributing the key to others

Saturday, May 24, 2008 2:18 AM
  • Hate to sound like I don't know what I'm doing but,

Got email invite, followed link, signed into connect, downloaded eval edition.

When I click product keys I get 5 keys but I'm not sure if they are for this version. I didnt request any yet.

They are listed as build version v1. Are they the ones I need for this version? 

I havent used this software since beta2 I think and I'm afraid those are old keys.

If I click request new product key I get this:

Request Product Key
    WINDOWS HOME SERVER

The following downloads require a product key to be activated:

Reminder: You cannot distribute the product keys. 

Return to Product Keys

Product Keys Available

(none available)

Thanks!

Monday, May 26, 2008 11:05 AM
  • no one??
    Friday, May 30, 2008 10:55 AM
  • Those are old product keys. It looks like the generation of new keys hasn't been turned on yet. However, you will only need a product key if you plan to leave your test environment running for a significant length of time. Since the beta period is likely to be only a few weeks, you may not need to activate WHS. Even if it's long enough to "require" activation, you could simply reinstall WHS to get around the requirement. And if you are planning to install the PP1 beta on production hardware, then you shouldn't need a product key at all.
    Friday, May 30, 2008 11:35 AM
  • Per Ken's post. There is no need to down load and install the beta WHS and use keys.  You can install PP1 on your OEM WHS.  The down load of the WHS beta OS is in case you want to test PP1 in a true test environment and/or are concerned about installing PP1 on your OEM set up.

I plan to install PP1 on my OEM WHS. So, I'm not down loading the Beta WHS and keys.....
    Friday, May 30, 2008 11:41 AM
  • If you have the hardware, I'd really prefer to see people test off their production servers. The minimum is two computers, one with multiple disk drives (KB946676 doesn't trigger in single drive environments) for the server, and one for the client. The way I deal with this is to use my test/demo server for the server (2 drives) and a PC that I swap a different drive into for the client.
    Friday, May 30, 2008 3:02 PM
  • Great, thanks for the replies - I am planning on running another server for the beta - I'll do the install w/o a key (if I can) then apply the key if they are available before the 30 days is up  -  I have an old via c3 system I can setup and I've got the time!
    Friday, May 30, 2008 7:53 PM