How to FTP from Axis Netcam 207W to Fujitsu Scaleo Homeserver (WHS) 2205? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    I know FTP is not a secure way to move data around the Internet, but the Netcam Axis does not support Secure Copy or any other "secure" mechanism.
    I need to transfer some 100 images / day from the Axis Netcam to the WHS, so I tried to activate FTP:
    Created a user and target directory \\SERVER\User\ftpuser to save the images, opened the router firewall for port 21, configured System/IIS for a FTP site etc.
    Unfortunately, when doing a test with FileZilla, I always receive the error "unknown host"???
    Any good idea to get this FTP running? Thanks.
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 5:46 PM

All replies

• Don't use the server shares as the target of the FTP server; Windows Home Server requires complete control of permissions there. Put that outside the shares, perhaps on a separate disk, and use a scheduled script to move files into the shares.

And read this Knowledgebase article .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Don't use the server shares as the target of the FTP server; Windows Home Server requires complete control of permissions there. Put that outside the shares, perhaps on a separate disk, and use a scheduled script to move files into the shares.
    ...thanks, Ken. This could well be a solution, I'll try that and let you know.
    Beside this issue, can you recommend a FTP server like FileZilla to run on WHS 2003?
    Best regards
    Monday, September 7, 2009 1:14 PM
  • Seriously? I recommend you consider the implications of adding software outside of Windows Home Server's console. Doing so will significantly complicate most recovery scenarios, because you will have that additional installation/configuration to perform again.

As for "what FTP server", use IIS. Just don't point it at the shares.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 2:23 PM
  • Hi Ken,
    I tried to follow your advise...
    Unfortunately, when I create a new directory OUTSIDE "Shares" e.g. D:\FTP, I will not be allowed to link a new user "ftpuser" to this dedicated file location: \\Server\User\ftpuser (it's only possible to link to folders within Shares, not outside - error).
    Any suggestion? Thanks.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 6:22 PM
  • FTP is not part of Windows Home Server. You can't manage anything about your FTP site within the Windows Home Server management tools. That includes any user(s) you create for FTP access.

So if you absolutely must have FTP, read that KB article and manually configure everything about the FTP server.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 3:32 AM
  • Hi Ken,
    thank you.
    I read all available articles about WHS and FTP, but I cannot get it run.
    FTP is a must have, since the Axis 207W Netcam only supports FTP to transfer files.
    How would you solve the problem of pushing images from a netcam to the WHS?
    Best regards
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 6:46 AM
  • It's not entirely obvious to me where your problem lies, but I suspect it's a network misconfiguration issue. You need to start by configuring the FTP service on your server and testing within your home network. If it works within your home network, then it's probably a router issue, otherwise it's probably a lack of knowledge of how to configure an FTP server on IIS. The Microsoft Knowledgebase, MSDN, TechNet, etc. will help.

Also, bear in mind that FTP is not supported on Windows Home Server. There is no guarantee that it will work in the first place (though it should), there is no guarantee that it will continue to work, and there may be little that anyone can do to assist you in solving problems with it.

I will note that FTP is not secure. Anonymous FTP is, paradoxically, a better solution than FTP with authentication, because the FTP control channel is unencrypted, which means that passwords are passed over the Internet in plain text. Securing an FTP server is not an appropriate topic for discussion here, but agan MSDN, Technet, and the MS Knowledgebase will help you there.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 3:32 PM