Task fails with -1073741819 RRS feed

• Question

• I have tasks that fail with code -1073741819 which when translated indicate an access violation but not sure if this is how i interpret the code. Within our HPC environment jobs are executed from a shelled cmd.exe (not sure if this is standard HPC mechanism for running jobs but its certainly ours). So I presume the return code from our program is passed back to cmd.exe which then passes it back to HPC? In any event, I dont know how it picks up this error code because our jobs seem to indicate success.
    • Moved by parmita mehtaModerator Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:31 PM (From:Windows HPC Server Deployment, Management, and Administration)
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 8:41 AM

Answers

• If your tasks are failing with the message "Exited with nonzero exit code" that indicates that whatever command line you provided is returning some exit code other than 0.  That's really the only insight that the HPC Scheduler has into the execution of your task.  So that -1073741819 is likely generated by your application.

If you find that your application is returning non-zero exit codes on success, you can always rap their startup in a batch script which handles this and returns 0 on a "good" exit code.

Thanks,
    Josh
    -Josh
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Hi,

I would add the Windows SDK debugger to the chain 'cdb.exe' to break when the AV occurs. The HpcNodeManager picks the code for the cmd.exe it launches, which as you expect pass back the return code from the application.
    adding cdb will allow you to break when the AV occurs.

Another way to go would be to print the return code with each wrapper you have to the application. e.g. from your shelled cmd.exe.

thanks,
    .Erez
    Friday, July 17, 2009 12:32 AM

All replies

• If your tasks are failing with the message "Exited with nonzero exit code" that indicates that whatever command line you provided is returning some exit code other than 0.  That's really the only insight that the HPC Scheduler has into the execution of your task.  So that -1073741819 is likely generated by your application.

If you find that your application is returning non-zero exit codes on success, you can always rap their startup in a batch script which handles this and returns 0 on a "good" exit code.

Thanks,
    Josh
    -Josh
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Hi,

I would add the Windows SDK debugger to the chain 'cdb.exe' to break when the AV occurs. The HpcNodeManager picks the code for the cmd.exe it launches, which as you expect pass back the return code from the application.
    adding cdb will allow you to break when the AV occurs.

Another way to go would be to print the return code with each wrapper you have to the application. e.g. from your shelled cmd.exe.

thanks,
    .Erez
    Friday, July 17, 2009 12:32 AM