Not really the "last known good state" RRS feed

• General discussion

• Last week I asked about using WHS to store baseline backups. I was told that 'WHS is designed to get you back to a "last known good state" (meaning last night's backup), not a "state you started from days/weeks/months/years ago"'

I find myself in a situation where I disagree with that statement. It seems that the power outage somehow corrupted a critical system file (spldr.sys) in my HTPC. That outage also killed one of the WHS' HDDs, which resulted in all of the HTPC's backups being lost. Every backup of the HTPC since the outage contained that corrupt system file. I only learned of this problem after restarting the computer yesterday. Using the Vista disc to repair it didn't work.

I am now reinstalling Vista because the WHS has completely and utterly failed in its one job - protecting my computers.

I understand that there are add-ins and techniques I can use to backup the backup database, but this really should be part of the OS. It seems like a basic function to me. I am going to install one of the suggested add-ins to prevent this from happening in the future, but I would like to petition the WHS group to add this function to the OS. I'll see if there is an existing bug in Connect to add to.

I would like to know if I am the only one who feels this way, or is it just accepted that WHS lacks this ability and these sort of things will just happen once in a while?
    Friday, July 17, 2009 6:48 PM

All replies

• Yes, these things will happen some times. To protect your data, make backups of the backup data base or add an UPS to your server.

Martin
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 6:43 AM
  • Yes, these things will happen some times. To protect your data, make backups of the backup data base or add an UPS to your server.

Martin
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en

I want to avoid this as well....
    how do i do backups of the "backup database" ?
    Only sever backup i know is when you insert an external USB DISK and you do the backup of the server on that by using the console to backup the server...

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 9:09 AM
  • There's no supported method for backing up the backup database. For instructions on backing it up manually, you can consult the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief, which has a section describing the process. Or you can download and install the Backup DataBase Backup (BDBB) add-in; you'll find a link to it in the dev section of the forums here.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 5:20 PM
  • thanks Ken, i found the document and its a pretty straight forward procedure which i did with no problem...
    Although i begin to understand that the possibilities of loosing your home server and a PC at the same time is pretty minimal...

Thursday, August 6, 2009 6:25 AM
  • thanks Ken, i found the document and its a pretty straight forward procedure which i did with no problem...
    Although i begin to understand that the possibilities of loosing your home server and a PC at the same time is pretty minimal...

Surge/Lightning? Fire? It might happen but I aggree that the chance is low.

Martin
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 7:53 AM