Slow initial retrieve RRS feed

• Question

• If I boot my client (XP SP3 or Vista SP1) and wait for startup to conclude, when I go to a WHS shared folder it takes 30 to 45 seconds to respond.  I have disabled the icons on folders for Vista with that not making much difference and the caching of thumbnails on VP to similarly little avail.  The performance after that is quite reasonable but that initial load is terrible.

There are only 4 icons in the folder!

I thought perhaps my drives had gone offline or something (I have Seagate 1TB (ST31000333AS) drives with folder duplication enabled.  No actual RAID.

I've had very few disk-related errors in the log.  Any ideas on this?
    Friday, February 27, 2009 9:43 PM

Answers

• Now I remember how I solved that same issue. I installed the add-in WebFolders4WHS. That lets me map a drive to the WHS, so reconnecting happens during boot time.

But the big thing I like about WebFolders4WHS is that it also lets me map a drive to the WHS when I'm away from the home network. I use Second Copy to sync my files from hotel rooms just like I do at home.

• Marked as answer by samene Monday, September 23, 2013 10:01 PM
    Friday, February 27, 2009 11:17 PM

All replies

• samene said:

If I boot my client (XP SP3 or Vista SP1) and wait for startup to conclude, when I go to a WHS shared folder it takes 30 to 45 seconds to respond.  I have disabled the icons on folders for Vista with that not making much difference and the caching of thumbnails on VP to similarly little avail.  The performance after that is quite reasonable but that initial load is terrible.

There are only 4 icons in the folder!

I thought perhaps my drives had gone offline or something (I have Seagate 1TB (ST31000333AS) drives with folder duplication enabled.  No actual RAID.

I've had very few disk-related errors in the log.  Any ideas on this?

Does it take the same amount of time if you access the folders by typing in \\<ip address>\ instead of the \\<servername>\ ? Are these clients wired or wireless and if these are laptops, do you have the same behavior using both connections?

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, February 27, 2009 10:15 PM
  • Might be a networking issue. For one thing, do you have a static address for the WHS in your router?
    Friday, February 27, 2009 10:17 PM
  • I have not checked whether it takes the same amount of time if I reference by ip address.  Will check this evening.

My DHCP server reserves a consistent ip address for my WHS machine.  My router/dhcp/firewall device is a Zyxell Zywall 2.

All the clients are wired (100Mb) and I have similar behavior across all 4 of my clients.  None are laptops; all are >= 2.66GHz dual- or quad-core systems.  Everything on my network is loaded to the gills with memory.

Thanks for responding, hope this detail helps with the diagnosis...

Friday, February 27, 2009 10:34 PM
  • Now I remember how I solved that same issue. I installed the add-in WebFolders4WHS. That lets me map a drive to the WHS, so reconnecting happens during boot time.

But the big thing I like about WebFolders4WHS is that it also lets me map a drive to the WHS when I'm away from the home network. I use Second Copy to sync my files from hotel rooms just like I do at home.

• Marked as answer by samene Monday, September 23, 2013 10:01 PM
    Friday, February 27, 2009 11:17 PM
  • It takes just as long when using \\###.###.###.###\share as with the name.  As you would expect, using a static address rather than DHCP makes no difference.

When I map the drive, it actually takes a full minute to populate the window after it has opened.

I don't really want to solve this by installing a third-party add-in (although I will do that if it is the only option).  I don't see why this shouldn't work without that.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 6:08 AM
  • I'm out of ideas. However, have you tried restarting the router? Can't hurt.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 8:17 AM
  • Yes, restarted many times.  This also happens after long periods of inactivity.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 7:21 PM