Nvida LAN drivers RRS feed

Answers

• Thanks for reporting your results back.
    Seems this is not such an uncommon problem with self built systems, that the drivers not always are working well with the Windows Server 2003 base OS.
    Since the makers of hardware will not add support for this now relatively old OS any more (and would do this usually only for their server products, not for the consumer line), workarounds like the described may become more and more necessary for reusing an old PC as WHS.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by hburchett Monday, March 30, 2009 2:11 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 1:51 PM
  • Well that driver just is not going to work at this time with this OS, what I ended up doing is useing a Fa311 network adaptor, and removing the metal cover on it, and cutting a popsickle stick to hold the card in the slot, and it's not working =) Thanks Olaf for the help, respond once more to this post and i'll flag non-compatible as the answer. 

Funny though this is the second time in as many weeks that a popsickle stick has been a fix for a computer, I found that they can remove CPU's from heatsinks when the thermal compound turns to thermal concrete
    Draklor
    • Marked as answer by hburchett Monday, March 30, 2009 2:12 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 1:41 PM

All replies

• hi,
    no wonder, according to the motherboard specification the LAN adapter is a PCI Realtek RTL8201CL 10/100 Mbps.
    So you will need the Realtek drivers for the network chip.

Edit:
    To correct my statement after some more reading: that chip is a PHY chip and not a real LAN chip, and the drivers you need are part of the NVidia Chipset driver package.
    Since those are not available for Windows Server 2003, maybe a better option would be to purchase a cheap PCI network card with Windows Server 2003 drivers.

Olaf
    Friday, March 27, 2009 9:26 AM
  • Thanks for the help, it conferms what I was afraid of.  The problem now is this is a small form factor PC and finding cards for it can be a issue.  Do you think it would work if I used a USB to Ethernet adaptor?
    Draklor
    Friday, March 27, 2009 1:31 PM
  • Did you already try to install the NVidia chipset drivers I linked?

If an USB network adapter has Windows Server 2003 drivers, it should work. Be aware, that in this case the speed should be at least 100 MBit/s to meet the minimum requirements of Windows Home Server.

Olaf
    Friday, March 27, 2009 2:20 PM
  • Those did not work, Im going to try to turn off shadowing, it might help to know that I did try those drivers from Nvida's website but with no luck.  I went and tryed the drivers you were kind enough with the same results, I think that for now unless another idea comes forword I'm going to have to try the USB.  getting 100mbs should not be a problem, USB 2.0 is greater than 400 mbs provided things work at " rated" speeds but we all know how 54mbs wireless works(more like 900k after securitys) =)

Anyway all the help is appreshated!  Thanks Olaf

Draklor
    Friday, March 27, 2009 10:52 PM
  • Hi,
    "did not work" means what? You could not install (also not in compatibility mode for Windows XP) or the drivers installed, but failed to work?

Maybe instead of a USB LAN adapter another mainboard, which is better compatible, could do the job?

Olaf
    Friday, March 27, 2009 11:14 PM
  • Hello Olaf

Dident you know the tech term for " did not work " =) 
    Anyway more to the point the problem was the same as stated in the first post, upon finding the drivers and the moment I see windows add the device it goes to a blue screen crash, preforms a data dump  and needs to be powered down, only way to get it to boot back up is to use selective start up(F8) and chose last known good config.

Here are some bits of information Im reading and more information
    M2NC51-AR is the Motherboard in this HP
    Here is a topic on Nvidas site that I think might be related to my problem
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=92093

and perhaps another
    http://mswhs.com/2008/11/24/nvidia-driver-issue-with-windows-home-server/

and perhaps this, I think Im going to try this next, those version numbers are diffrent than the ones above, at least I think at this point I've tryed so many heh

As far as putting in another MB not an option, I would just as easly build another computer from the parts of this one and I may just do that, but it would be nice to get this one to work=)

Draklor
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 12:34 AM
  • Well that driver just is not going to work at this time with this OS, what I ended up doing is useing a Fa311 network adaptor, and removing the metal cover on it, and cutting a popsickle stick to hold the card in the slot, and it's not working =) Thanks Olaf for the help, respond once more to this post and i'll flag non-compatible as the answer. 

Funny though this is the second time in as many weeks that a popsickle stick has been a fix for a computer, I found that they can remove CPU's from heatsinks when the thermal compound turns to thermal concrete
    Draklor
    • Marked as answer by hburchett Monday, March 30, 2009 2:12 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 1:41 PM
  • Thanks for reporting your results back.
    Seems this is not such an uncommon problem with self built systems, that the drivers not always are working well with the Windows Server 2003 base OS.
    Since the makers of hardware will not add support for this now relatively old OS any more (and would do this usually only for their server products, not for the consumer line), workarounds like the described may become more and more necessary for reusing an old PC as WHS.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by hburchett Monday, March 30, 2009 2:11 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 1:51 PM