Server 2003 (Home) USB Audio issue RRS feed

• Question

• Please help I recently got a HP Media Smart Server and have been adding stuff to it. I just got a USB audio adaprt and no matter what way I try to install it it will not work. The manf. software says it is not there and I tried just using the driver files and windows says they are not valid.

Hardware: USB Audio PD552 V2.0
    Monday, April 6, 2009 2:37 AM

Answers

• Please help I recently got a HP Media Smart Server and have been adding stuff to it. I just got a USB audio adaprt and no matter what way I try to install it it will not work. The manf. software says it is not there and I tried just using the driver files and windows says they are not valid.

I'm not really sure what you expect.  You're hacking your HP MSS (unsupported) and trying to add hardware to it (unsupported) plus other "stuff" as well (most likely unsupported).  If you really want to add all of that equipment you should have used an OS that supports everything you are trying to do (such as 2003/2008).  (Or, at the very least, built your own WHS.  It would still be unsupported, but at least the hardware configuration would be more forgiving.)
    Monday, April 6, 2009 3:33 AM
  • Some audio devices can be made to work if the drivers are installed in the console session on your server. However, often you will only be able to play back audio from a console session as well, so installing audio on a server that you don't log in to is of limited utility at best.

I'm going to ask why you feel you need audio on a server that's designed to operate "headless"?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 6, 2009 5:26 PM

All replies

I'm not really sure what you expect.  You're hacking your HP MSS (unsupported) and trying to add hardware to it (unsupported) plus other "stuff" as well (most likely unsupported).  If you really want to add all of that equipment you should have used an OS that supports everything you are trying to do (such as 2003/2008).  (Or, at the very least, built your own WHS.  It would still be unsupported, but at least the hardware configuration would be more forgiving.)
    Monday, April 6, 2009 3:33 AM
  • WHS disables the audio. As far as I know, this is a hard limitation and cannot be bypassed
    Monday, April 6, 2009 8:23 AM
  • Some audio devices can be made to work if the drivers are installed in the console session on your server. However, often you will only be able to play back audio from a console session as well, so installing audio on a server that you don't log in to is of limited utility at best.

I'm going to ask why you feel you need audio on a server that's designed to operate "headless"?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 6, 2009 5:26 PM
  • I was tryin to add a majic jack that requires audio devices to work so I did not need to leave my computer on all the time since the Server is on all the time....
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 12:32 AM