none
Microsoft Bluetooth Dongle Won't Work RRS feed

• Question

•  

Can anybody help me with trying to get my bluetooth dongle to work?  It's microsoft brand and relatively new, came with the elite blutooth kb/mouse set.  Hard to believe it but MS doesn't seem to have drivers out that will support this in WHS and it can't find any drivers with the hardware wizard.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Sunday, November 11, 2007 12:46 PM

All replies

• Well, Windows Home Server is based on Windows Server 2003, and there's no Bluetooth support in that operating system. You will have to find a third-party bluetooth stack that will work with WS2003, I'm afraid. (Which could be difficult, as Bluetooth is an end-user technology.) You could check with BlueSoleil to see if their driver will install on Windows Server 2003. It's the most feature-rich driver I know of, and it has wider hardware support than anything else out there.

But Microsoft doesn't intend for there to be a keyboard or mouse connected to your WHS PC. I'm not sure why you need one in the first place, and even if you do need one briefly, the cheapest ones you can find are more than adequate; why use an expensive wireless desktop set?
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 1:21 PM
  • Thanks,

I also use this system for quick web browsing.  It's connected to my TV as the only monitor and the PC itself is in a media cabinet across the room.  So wireless is really the only convenient option for me.  I'll look into bluesoleil a bit.

Thanks!

Monday, November 12, 2007 8:09 AM
  • Tony, Windows Home Server really isn't intended to be used as a general-purpose PC (which is what you're doing). During the beta the installation instructions told us to remove the keyboard, monitor and mouse and reboot after installation was complete. The OPK doesn't say that any more, but it's written for system builder and OEMs, not for end users.

In addition, the way the server is configured is going to make it hard to use as a general purpose PC; your C: partition (the only one you can really use as a regular drive out of the box) is very small; because Microsoft doesn't envision using the server interactively, so you shouldn't be installing much directly on it. And your other drives are all part of the storage pool, and unavailable for your use.

I would be concerned for another reason, as well. If you're using WHS as a server as well as for web surfing, potentially your entire family's personal information will be stored on the server. This would make a WHS PC a high-value target for identity theft.

All of which is not to say that you can't use WHS for web surfing, but I don't think you should use it that way. If you want both the server features and the web surfing, I would consider waiting until several more manufacturers have OEM units available and pick one of them up. (They should be much better sorted out than the average enthusiast WHS PC.) You can use the PC you've got now as a HTPC.

I'll warn you that the Bluesoleil drivers aren't free, if you want to remove the data transfer limitation the free version has (which you should; I can just imagine the results if your keyboard stops working because you ran out of data transfer in this session).
    Monday, November 12, 2007 4:22 PM