Dual NIC's... RRS feed

• Question

• Did a search but couldn't get the answer I'm looking for.

I have 3 MCE PC's that I'd like to be connected to the first NIC in my WHS. Then I'd like my home office & personal PC's (5 in total) to be connected to the second NIC in my WHS. This way if I'm working on large files (like video editing) I won't use up all the bandwidth of a single network and possible affect my MCE PC's.

Is it possible to have WHS serve two separate networks?

Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:34 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server is designed to function in a typical home network environment. As such, it doesn't support advanced routing, NIC teaming, etc. So no, it's not designed for your scenario. It's possible that with some effort on your part you'll be able to get it to work anyway.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:46 AM
  • During the beta trials, I had a copy installed on a server with dual Broadcom NIC's, which had their own processors and supported teaming and fail-over etc. I found a couple of things: one was WHS occasionally became 'confused', and at times didn't see some of the Clients over a particular NIC, not necessarily the same NIC each time. Also, even though they could handle large amounts of traffic, I found that the WHS performance was limited more by it's own internal operations and there was no advantage at all with the two cards.

I did set up a reasonably long trial, both with, and without the second card, streaming video to 2 clients while loading ripped DVD's etc., simultaneously. The performance was just about identical in both scenarios.

This test rig was a twin Opteron server, running through a managed Procurve gigabit 24 port switch, which could also team and utilise twin connections.

Colin 

Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:40 PM
  • Since running 2 NICs isn't an option for WHS, My recommendation is this:

Utilize a gigabit 'backbone' by having a Gigabit NIC in the WHS machine connected to a gigabit router/switch. then enable 100BT operation on all other machines. In this manner, the WHS gigabit connection cannot be flooded by any one machine and can therefore handle heavy traffic from multiple machines at once. Businesses utilize this strategy, my workstation is a 100BT Windows XP connected to a gigabit backbone at work. Just like they used to run 100BT backbones and run clients on 10BT.

dangonay wrote:

Did a search but couldn't get the answer I'm looking for.

I have 3 MCE PC's that I'd like to be connected to the first NIC in my WHS. Then I'd like my home office & personal PC's (5 in total) to be connected to the second NIC in my WHS. This way if I'm working on large files (like video editing) I won't use up all the bandwidth of a single network and possible affect my MCE PC's.

Is it possible to have WHS serve two separate networks?

Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:05 PM