Installing Windows XP Pro Genuine Advantage Kit from an existing PC to a new one RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am building a new PC and have also ordered a copy of Vista Ultimate as part of that bulid.  However, as drivers are not all out there for Vista, I want to hot swap hard drives housing my operating systems (a separate drive for Vista and one for  XP). 

As the whole guts of the PC will have changed, I cannot hot swap the current XP drive as 1) it contains all previous drivers and will more than likely crash and 2) the original hard drives are IDE and are now SATA II.  Therefore, I need to re-install on a SATA drive.  However, I was orginally given a dodgy installation of XP (no wonder my PC was cheaper than most!) and was then prompted after a few months to buy a Genuine Advantage Kit to rectify the situation which I did.

My question is:

1a)  Can I re-install my Genuine Advantage Kit on a new hard drive without being prompted for yet another kit?

OR

1b)  Can I transfer the operating system (without drivers) from IDE to SATA easily?

Many thanks,

Stephen

Sunday, July 15, 2007 3:30 PM

Answers

• spanis  pleace
    Monday, July 16, 2007 2:55 AM
  • Jaimeriosneri,

Unfortunately, the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) support forum is able to provide support in English only.  The following URL:  http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx will help make sure you receive the appropriate support information for your location by selecting your region from the drop down list provided and then clicking the arrow button. Have a great day and thank you for visiting the OGA Forum.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 6:56 PM
  •  Pulse8 wrote:

Hi,

I am building a new PC and have also ordered a copy of Vista Ultimate as part of that bulid.  However, as drivers are not all out there for Vista, I want to hot swap hard drives housing my operating systems (a separate drive for Vista and one for  XP). 

As the whole guts of the PC will have changed, I cannot hot swap the current XP drive as 1) it contains all previous drivers and will more than likely crash and 2) the original hard drives are IDE and are now SATA II.  Therefore, I need to re-install on a SATA drive.  However, I was orginally given a dodgy installation of XP (no wonder my PC was cheaper than most!) and was then prompted after a few months to buy a Genuine Advantage Kit to rectify the situation which I did.

My question is:

1a)  Can I re-install my Genuine Advantage Kit on a new hard drive without being prompted for yet another kit?

Pulse when you say Genuine Advantage Kit are you referring to the WGA Kit which may be purchased from http://www.microsoft.com/genuine?  If so Windows Genuine Advantage Kit is a retail version of the operating system. You should not be required to purchase another kit. Depending on how many times you have activated the Genuine Advantage Kit you may be requried to activate by telephone. Please review http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851 for actual numbers you may call for activation. 

OR

1b)  Can I transfer the operating system (without drivers) from IDE to SATA easily?

Pulse, I am not sure how the transferring process would or would not affect you. Please visit the following forum newsgroups and pose your question @ the following link:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter 

Pulse if I may be of further assistance please let me know.  Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 7:06 PM
  • Thanks Stephen,

I have since resolved this through Microsoft.  They allowed me to reactivate a clean install on the new SATA hard drive so fortunately, I didn't have to buy a new copy of the XP operating system.  It is a WGA kit which is why I had wondered whether I would be given the same considerations to those that have the retail versions or whether, like OEM, the operating system dies with the old PC.

It's all sorted but many thanks for your reply.

Pulse8

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 9:22 PM
  • Pulse,

No problem.  We are here to assist our customers. Thank you for taking time and letting us know all has been sorted out.  Take care and hope you have a wonderful week.

Regards,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:42 AM

All replies

• spanis  pleace
    Monday, July 16, 2007 2:55 AM
  • Jaimeriosneri,

Unfortunately, the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) support forum is able to provide support in English only.  The following URL:  http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx will help make sure you receive the appropriate support information for your location by selecting your region from the drop down list provided and then clicking the arrow button. Have a great day and thank you for visiting the OGA Forum.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 6:56 PM
  •  Pulse8 wrote:

Hi,

My question is:

Pulse when you say Genuine Advantage Kit are you referring to the WGA Kit which may be purchased from http://www.microsoft.com/genuine?  If so Windows Genuine Advantage Kit is a retail version of the operating system. You should not be required to purchase another kit. Depending on how many times you have activated the Genuine Advantage Kit you may be requried to activate by telephone. Please review http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851 for actual numbers you may call for activation. 

OR

Pulse, I am not sure how the transferring process would or would not affect you. Please visit the following forum newsgroups and pose your question @ the following link:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter 

Pulse if I may be of further assistance please let me know.  Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 7:06 PM
  • Thanks Stephen,

I have since resolved this through Microsoft.  They allowed me to reactivate a clean install on the new SATA hard drive so fortunately, I didn't have to buy a new copy of the XP operating system.  It is a WGA kit which is why I had wondered whether I would be given the same considerations to those that have the retail versions or whether, like OEM, the operating system dies with the old PC.

It's all sorted but many thanks for your reply.

Pulse8

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 9:22 PM
  • Pulse,

No problem.  We are here to assist our customers. Thank you for taking time and letting us know all has been sorted out.  Take care and hope you have a wonderful week.

Regards,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:42 AM
  • Stephen - I essentially have the same problem as Pulse does in this email stream.

I upgraded my PC with a new processor, MB and HDD.

I have the XP Pro Genuine advantage kit disc (with hologram) I purchased from Microsoft.

But it won't boot now from the CD so I can install it on my new HDD.

I did an experiment with a Vista CD my son has just to see if my DVD drive is bad.

It booted up to the install screen right away, so I know it isn't the drive.

So, is my XP Pro Genuine advantage kit disc only good for a one-time install?

Is it the OEM version or the retail version?

Do I have to buy it all over again?

Please advise. Thanks for your help.

Regards, Rhino49

Monday, March 3, 2008 5:11 PM
  • Rhino49,

Vista discs are DVDs while XP discs are CDs.

DVD drives have two lasers, one reads and writes to DVDs and the other reads and writes to CDs.  So, it's possible that your DVD drive is not starting the computer from the WGA CD because the CD laser in the drive is somehow defective.

Try using your WGA CD in another computer to test it's ability to boot.

As a rule, the WGA kit gives you a full retail license for XP.  In forum posts we have heard of some exceptions to that rule in some Asian countries, where a supplemental EULA is issued with the WGA kit's license that restricts it to installation on one computer only without the retail license's ability to move the license to another computer at some point in the future.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 4:27 AM