Cannot install home server connector - files not downloaded from home server RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed hte power pack no problem and got to the :5000 and downladed the installer.

When I try to run the installer however it gets stuck on downloading files from VAULT 0% then eventually goes to an error page:

The files were not downloaded from your home server.

I have tried this lots of times on 4 different machines, I get the same problem each time.

Anyone else having this issue?

How do I fix it?

It's really annoying as I get the warning messages popping up on all my machines now saying that I must install a new connector.

Thanks
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:13 PM

All replies

• Is it possible that, at some point, you have removed the folder \\<servername>\Software\Home Server Connector Software?
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:50 AM
  • No, that is still there.

As I said I can download the installer fine, the installer just fails.

Thanks for the reply.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:06 PM
  • You could try copying the contents of the folder to your client PC.
    Friday, July 25, 2008 2:39 AM
  • I'm having a similar problem, except there is no WHS connector software folder to be found.  Now the back-up service isn't working, presumably since the connector software hasn't been updated on any of the clients.  Can you post a link to the updated connector software so I can do a manual install?

Saturday, July 26, 2008 1:17 PM
  • The connector software isn't available for download from Microsoft; it's installed from a share on your server, and is placed there by the Windows Home Server installation or OOBE process. When an update to WHS updates the connector software, it does so in that folder. A backup of the Windows Home Server files in that folder is avaialble, however.

The only supported way to recover that folder if it has been removed is via a server reinstallation. However, you may be able to recover by:
    • Recreate the folder "Home Server Connector Software" in your Software share.
    • Create a folder "DOTNETFX20" in the "Home Server Connector Software" folder.
    • Create a folder "WindowsInstaller31" in the "Home Server Connector Software" folder.
    • Log on to your server using Remote Desktop. Be cautious when logged in in this fashion; it's unsupported, and there are tools available which, while familiar from other operating systems, may cause severe issues (up to and including complete data loss) when used on a Windows Home Server based computer.
    • In Remote Desktop, copy the following files to "\\localhost\Home Server Connector Software" (Note: there is a .cmd file which should perform this step: C:\WHS\ConnectorInstallAssistant.cmd):
      • C:\WHS\setup.exe
      • C:\WHS\WHS_ConnectorHelp.chm
      • C:\WHS\WHSConnector.msi
      • C:\WHS\WHSConnector_x64.msi
      • C:\WHS\WHSConnectorInstall.exe
      • C:\WHS\WHSVersionUpgrade.dll
      • C:\WHS\WHSVersionUpgrade_x64.dll
    • In Remote Desktop, copy the following files to "\\localhost\Software\Home Server Connector Software\DOTNETFX20":
      • C:\redistr\dotnetchk.exe
      • C:\redistr\dotnetfx.exe
    • In Remote Desktop, copy "C:\redistr\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe" to "\\localhost\Software\Home Server Connector Software\WindowsInstaller31".
    There may be additional steps require in order to completely restore connector installation functionality.

If you have an OEM product (an HP MediaSmart Server, for instance) there may be additional files and folders required by the OEM extensions to the WHS platform. In this case, you may be forced to perform a server recovery according to the instructions in the manuals you received with your server, as I see no easy way to recover those files.
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 4:08 PM
  • That worked perfectly with my OEM version.  Thanks for the excellent, detailed response! 

Saturday, August 9, 2008 8:52 AM