Backup to Server 2003 Mapped Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a group of XP machines and a server 2003 box with a shared folder. I'm trying to backup all pcs to this shared folder. The drive is mapped to each pc, however does not appear in the backup device selection. I tried installing one care on the server and onecare said it was an incompatible os. How can I setup onecare (2.5) to backup these computers to the network drive on the server? Thanks! 

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 4:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• The location would need to be configured as a network Share (which I assume it is) and rights on the Share would have to grant Everyone full access rights. Not having Server 2003 handy, I can't tell you how to do that, but you would be creating a Share that is literally public for all users with access to the box. Once you've done that, you would point backup, not to a mapped drive, but to a Share - \\server\share

-steve

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 4:54 PM
  • Thanks Stephen,

i've got all of that done, at this point i can;t figure out how to tell onecare to use that network location. where would I enter \\server\share? i seem to be limited to a listbox of attcahed devices.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:13 PM
  • Below the list of attached devices should be a button (outside of the list) for "Add Network Location".

Click that button and a dialog will appear with a box for entering the path to the Share or a button to browse to it.

Let us know how you make out....

-steve

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:30 PM
  • I don't see that option...here's what I see

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg181/ryanmcwh/onecare.jpg

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:16 PM
  • Hmm....

Did you already have backup configured for an external drive?

Try this:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link

In the window that pops up, you should see the list of connected devices and the button for add network location

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

I don't know if I'll be back to the forum before tomorrow...

-steve
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:17 PM
  • No luck. I thought you were onto something and it might reset my options, but I still see the same thing, without the ability to add/change a network location. thanks.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:53 PM
  • Ryan, clearly I am stymied.

When you reset your backup plan, was your external drive connected? When you went to the backup tab following the "turn off" option, and then selected to turn backup on, did you only see the CD/DVD drive listed under devices with Change this?

When you are setting up backup, are you connected to the network? Can you open Windows Explorer and browse the network?

In OneCare's firewall settings, is your network listed as Public or Home/Work? Do you show multiple active network connections? Under ports and protocols, is File and Printer Sharing checked as enabled? Both entries?

-steve

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:39 PM
  • 1. The External Hardrive previouslly used was not connected

2. Yes, I did see only the cd\dvd drive as available devices

3. Yes I am connected to the network and can browse to the share

4. I did just enable file and print sharing for subnet and internet, previouslly it was enable for local network(subnet) only which shouldn't make a difference.

I tried turning my firewall off completely and still do not see how to set the network location for backup. Do I need to be doing this from the server itself?

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:53 PM
  • The issue would be that you are not seeing the button on the change device dialog. I don't know why it is missing, Ryan. No, you would be configuring it from the PC itself, not the server.

-steve

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:04 PM
  • I went to the extent of uninstalling/reinstalling from the onecare site and am still having the same issue. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:10 PM
  • You are absolutely correct, it shouldn't. Have you tried support yet, Ryan?

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:13 PM
  • I am currently only testing OneCare on one of my workstations, however I have had a similar dilemma to what your experiencing. I also have a server running Windows Server 2003 and I do use it as the primary backup machine. I like to perform my backups in a way that the server pulls the files from the client machines. I go about this by using the administrative share(s) on each workstation and I make them appear in My Network Places by browsing to the x$ share, then creating and opening a text document. I do this to every workstation that I want backed up, and this makes the admin share visible in My Network Places, thus can be accessed from the backup program, I use the built-in Backup app in Server 2003.

Anyway, performing backups is now just as simple as backing up a local folder on that machine except it does not use shadow copies, but in my case is okay because I don't normally back up system files on my workstations anyway. I'd rather clean install in an unfortunate event and then only restore personal data.

Like I said though, I'm only testing OneCare so I'm not sure if this will change it's status to "good". I'm thinking it would as for NTBackup can mark the files as "backed up", and this is what OneCare is looking at.

Well, hopefully this helped somewhat. Good luck.

~ Rob

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Since you are using your own backup solution, you can turn off backup in OneCare. Simply configure the backup plan for each PC and uncheck the option "turn on backup for this PC." If you don't use OneCare backup and don't turn it off, OneCare will go to Yellow status and tell you that you have not backed up - no matter what solution you are using for backup. OneCare maintains its own catalog for backup status.

-steve

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 6:51 PM