WHS Client restore wizard failure RRS feed

• Question

• This weekend, when I tried to restore my wife's WinXP computer with the WHS restore CD, the procedure failed when the wizard was unable to find the server.  I found a workaround solution, but I'm worried about facing this issue again if I ever have to restore my wife's computer primary hard drive.

The problem: I wanted to replace my wife's computer hard drive because hers at 5 years old might soon fail.  Her computer is backed up nightly by WHS.  I created a new restore CD from the iso file on the WHS software directory.  I also downloaded the hardware drivers from her most recent WHS backup onto a USB stick.  Then I installed the new hard drive in her case, set the BIOS to boot the CD, and fired it up. 

The Restore CD loaded up it's Windows version, accepted and uploaded the drivers on request, but failed when it could not access the network.  I assume this was a driver issue.  I also tried with the original restore CD (older version of the software) that came with my HP Mediasmart server, with the same result.  Her motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R which uses a Realtek 8111C Gigabit LAN Controller.  I would think this is a fairly standard chip, why is there a problem?  I'm pretty sure it was not a problem with the CD.  I had run the same restore program using the same CD disk on my own computer the day before, and had no problem doing a bare metal restore, with different hardware.

My workaround was to use a drive imaging program (Acronis True Image) to clone the drive.  However, if her drive had failed, this option would not be open to me. 

Are there known problems with the Realtek 8111C controller?  I assume the working driver from her computer would have been part of the drivers package that were in the WHS backup?  When it fails, there are really no options given by the program, other than to cancel the backup.  Is there any way to check the drivers package and make sure that it will work in the future?  What else could I do to try to get the wizard to access the network in this situation?
    Monday, January 4, 2010 3:06 AM

Answers

• This weekend, when I tried to restore my wife's WinXP computer with the WHS restore CD, the procedure failed when the wizard was unable to find the server.  I found a workaround solution, but I'm worried about facing this issue again if I ever have to restore my wife's computer primary hard drive.

The problem: I wanted to replace my wife's computer hard drive because hers at 5 years old might soon fail.  Her computer is backed up nightly by WHS.  I created a new restore CD from the iso file on the WHS software directory.

FWIW, there is a newer one for Power Pack 3.  You can download it from here.

I also downloaded the hardware drivers from her most recent WHS backup onto a USB stick.  Then I installed the new hard drive in her case, set the BIOS to boot the CD, and fired it up. 

The Restore CD loaded up it's Windows version, accepted and uploaded the drivers on request, but failed when it could not access the network.  I assume this was a driver issue.  I also tried with the original restore CD (older version of the software) that came with my HP Mediasmart server, with the same result.  Her motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R which uses a Realtek 8111C Gigabit LAN Controller.  I would think this is a fairly standard chip, why is there a problem?  I'm pretty sure it was not a problem with the CD.  I had run the same restore program using the same CD disk on my own computer the day before, and had no problem doing a bare metal restore, with different hardware.

My workaround was to use a drive imaging program (Acronis True Image) to clone the drive.  However, if her drive had failed, this option would not be open to me. 

Are there known problems with the Realtek 8111C controller?  I assume the working driver from her computer would have been part of the drivers package that were in the WHS backup?  When it fails, there are really no options given by the program, other than to cancel the backup.  Is there any way to check the drivers package and make sure that it will work in the future?  What else could I do to try to get the wizard to access the network in this situation?
    There are some issues with the RealTek drivers.  See if the FAQ post:  How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore for details.
    • Marked as answer by PFAnderson Monday, January 11, 2010 11:44 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:13 AM

All replies

The problem: I wanted to replace my wife's computer hard drive because hers at 5 years old might soon fail.  Her computer is backed up nightly by WHS.  I created a new restore CD from the iso file on the WHS software directory.

FWIW, there is a newer one for Power Pack 3.  You can download it from here.

I also downloaded the hardware drivers from her most recent WHS backup onto a USB stick.  Then I installed the new hard drive in her case, set the BIOS to boot the CD, and fired it up. 

There are some issues with the RealTek drivers.  See if the FAQ post:  How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore for details.
    • Marked as answer by PFAnderson Monday, January 11, 2010 11:44 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:13 AM
  • That did it!  Had to try a couple different versions of the Realtek driver to find one that worked.  The Windows XP driver didn't work.

Thanks for the response! 
    Monday, January 11, 2010 11:45 PM