Hosting CRM for another company? RRS feed

• Question

• I administer an Exchange 2007 system. My company would like to host e-mail for another company. They have and will have their own AD domain and we plan no trust relationships. We have a CRM server and a CRM gateway running on an Exchange 2003 server that is devoted to that task. They have a CRM server in their domain that talks to Exchange 2003.

What do I need to do to get their CRM server to talk to my Exchange system after I start hosting their e-mail domain?

Please note that I don't know a lot about CRM.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 3:56 PM

Answers

• Without a trust relationship between the environments, this will be tough to do this and get full email functionality.  They will not be able to leverage the stock CRM Exchange router as it will not work in the environment you outlined.

They can still leverage SMTP to send mail from CRM and they can use the Outlook client to manually promote inbound email into CRM, they just own't be able to use the router to automatically promote email.

Matt

MVP - Dynamcis CRM

Thursday, September 6, 2007 4:00 PM

All replies

• Without a trust relationship between the environments, this will be tough to do this and get full email functionality.  They will not be able to leverage the stock CRM Exchange router as it will not work in the environment you outlined.

They can still leverage SMTP to send mail from CRM and they can use the Outlook client to manually promote inbound email into CRM, they just own't be able to use the router to automatically promote email.

Matt

MVP - Dynamcis CRM

Thursday, September 6, 2007 4:00 PM
  • Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand what it means for the CRM router to "promote e-mail."

Friday, September 7, 2007 6:11 PM
  • The router can automatically take inbound email and create associated activities within CRM.  This process is referred to as "promoting".  If you plan on going down this route, I highly reccommend going through some training on the product as supporting it will require this background knowledge.

Friday, September 7, 2007 6:16 PM