Local SQL Server Express 2008 database and WCF sync to SQL Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was all set to create a new WinForm application that would talk to a WCF service to manipulate database data in a remote SQL Server 2008 database, until I discovered MS Sync today!  One of the "nice to have" features for our application would be to be able to roam or work offline and to sync with the master database upon return to the office or hotel.  Sounds like a perfect fit for MS Sync.  So, I am hoping that someone could give me a sanity check...  With MS Sync,  I am planning on using ADO.NET Entity Framework to manipulate a local SQL Server 2008 Express database on a user's computer.  Periodically, the user will invoke a sync with the master SQL Server 2008 database server.  This sync could be onsite or remote.  So, I still need to write a WCF service for the sync operation.  Right?  I haven't devoured the Sync Framework docs, yet, but I am hoping that someone can tell me that it is possible to have the local and remote databases sync through WCF, and to verify that what I am proposing is a good design.

Thank you in advance for your help and comments,

Mike
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:11 AM

Answers

All replies