Selecting a moving person from a set of images RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm faced with the following problem: I have a set of images which I want to stitch together. Some of these images contain a person in different poses. ICE makes a pretty good job in removing the moving person from the images and solely taking the person from one 'reference' image. However, how can I select which image is taken as reference for the person? It seems that ICE always chooses the first image as base, but I want ICE to take a different image.

Thanks, Jonas

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 8:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Actually I have now at least found an (inconvenient) way to select the 'reference' image: It seems that ICE always takes that image contributing the largest set of pixels. That is, I have decomposed all images except the 'reference' images into smaller images, and adding them iteratively to a panorama. However, needs quite some time. Would be nice if this option could be added in a future release of ICE.
    Friday, May 1, 2015 1:45 PM
  • ICE doesn't necessarily take the image with the largest contribution. The selection algorithm is more complicated than that. The best way to achieve what you want is to cut out, from the source images, the people that you DONT want. Here is a previous explanation of that https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7e4a1531-160b-4b75-935a-9ba21bd2a5a9/can-i-choose-an-area-of-a-panorama-to-preserve-on-deep-zoom-export?forum=ice
    Friday, May 1, 2015 3:50 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Thanks for your answer. However, I already tried that, and it didn't work out - actually, in that case ICE still takes the same image as reference, but this time with the (white) cut-out region - this is really not what I want. Or did I just misunderstand you?

To clarify, I attached the three images which I want to stitch together. Images a) (two images in the same file since I cannot add more than two ims to the msg) can be stitched well, however, I want to take the person's pose on image c). The only way to achieve this is by first stitching together the top image in a) with c), then decomposing the bottom image in a) into about three smaller images, and adding them iteratively to the panorama.

a) two images that stitch together well

c) I want to have the person from that image on the final pano

• Edited by j_sp1 Sunday, May 3, 2015 9:09 AM
    Sunday, May 3, 2015 9:08 AM
  • If you are seeing the "white cutout region" then either (1) there is no overlap from the other images here, or more likely (2) when you created the cutout you did not include transparency. As the article that I linked references, http://www.axialis.com/tutorials/tutorial-misc001.html your cutout should look "transparent" in Photoshop and you should save the result (the image you will then provide ICE) as a PNG.

I use this technique often so I know that it works.

Sunday, May 3, 2015 10:13 PM