Normal to take a long time to backup? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a computer that has 2.5TB of stuff on it.  My WHS 2011 is located on a gigabit switch and the computer that I am backing up is physically on the same switch.  Both machines have gigabit network.  I started the backup about a day and a half ago and it's at 37% completed.  Is this normal?

Thanks.

JR

Sunday, July 17, 2011 2:16 PM

All replies

• Seems long, to be honest. The minimum it could possibly take is about 6 hours (assuming near 100% network utilization, which you usually won't see IRL). But over 24 hours seems unlikely unless your gigabit network isn't really running at gigabit speeds.

You could have other issues as well, though. How are the disks in your server set up? Very possibly you're out of space on the disk the backup database is on and (unlike V1) 2011 doesn't have Drive Extender to turn all your disks into a single seamless storage pool.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

My computer being backed up has 8 partitions that are 95GB each and then the last one being RAID 0 with 2GB of space on it.  Each partition has about 13% drive space available.

On the backup server, it has 3.5TB of drive space in a RAID 0 configuration with five 700GB drives.  When WHS installed it created all those 2TB partitions and I then removed them and merged them into one big 3.5TB partition.  Currently have enough available space to house the data.

JR

Sunday, July 17, 2011 4:45 PM
  • As a side note, my network is being utilized .5% according to windows Resource Monitor.  The biggest part of my computer's activity and wouldn't even consider it taxing the system is HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy# processes.  Lot of low speed reading going on with that process which I have to assume is related to the backups.

JR

Sunday, July 17, 2011 11:32 PM