My problem with the "OneCare Team" RRS feed

• Question

• My problem with the OneCare team is that there is no communication whatsoever.

Their blog is lagging behind : the last one is from 11 July !

They never give any information or feedback on the forum remarks/requests/supplications !

It is as if they are not at all interested in their beta-testers or their future (paying) customers !
    It is as if they are dooing their thing the way they want it, ignoring the ouside world completely !

THIS IS NOT AN MS ATTITUDE !

Does this team have any connection with MS at all ?

@OneCareBear : please do not answer.

Thursday, August 9, 2007 10:16 AM

Answers

• I know you read the forums. You will see that there are many Microsoft employees posting here, particularly in the beta folders.

I believe that you will find that most developers will not respond to feature requests or suggestions until the response has been carefully crafted and approved. It is general policy to not comment on upcoming features and to comment on a feature request may also require approval internally.

The purpose of the forum has always been for the users of OneCare to discuss the program with each other. While I do wish that we saw more frequent postings from the OneCare developers, Program Managers, and other Microsoft employees responsible for OneCare and the OneCare back end infrastructure in response to problems, I am pleased with the participation overall.

I will agree that the blog could use more frequent entries.

Just because you don't get posts from Microsoft here in the forums or direct communication with Microsoft employees, does not mean that they have no interest in the feedback coming to them from the forums and through other means.

-steve

Thursday, August 9, 2007 4:29 PM

All replies

• I know you read the forums. You will see that there are many Microsoft employees posting here, particularly in the beta folders.

I believe that you will find that most developers will not respond to feature requests or suggestions until the response has been carefully crafted and approved. It is general policy to not comment on upcoming features and to comment on a feature request may also require approval internally.

The purpose of the forum has always been for the users of OneCare to discuss the program with each other. While I do wish that we saw more frequent postings from the OneCare developers, Program Managers, and other Microsoft employees responsible for OneCare and the OneCare back end infrastructure in response to problems, I am pleased with the participation overall.

I will agree that the blog could use more frequent entries.

Just because you don't get posts from Microsoft here in the forums or direct communication with Microsoft employees, does not mean that they have no interest in the feedback coming to them from the forums and through other means.

-steve

Thursday, August 9, 2007 4:29 PM
  • I will answer, because it will help others who really want to understand how Microsoft communicates.

Along with what Steve has already mentioned, the Development Team is exactly that, developers, and their time is much better spent performing that function. When there are valid questions or concerns that haven't been answered, we as Moderator's will sometimes bring special attention to these issues via our contacts.

Responding to our previous requests for better communications in general, Team members responsible for various segments of the program have posted both FAQs in some of these forums and entries in the OneCare Wiki as they felt appropriate. This is much better communication than occured during most portions of previous public beta releases and has helped us as well.

There can always be improved communications, but expecting programmers and managers to drop their real work to answer individual user questions is entirely unrealistic and wasteful. Before OneCare and other recent products virtually no one outside of Microsoft ever received access to inside information and especially beta code to test unless they were under NDA. The very existence of these forums and the public beta are testament to the more open development process that OneCare and the entire Windows Live product family have within Microsoft.

Those who really wish to see improvement in the communications relating to the beta and the OneCare product in general would get the best results if they commented on which of the various methods already in use (Forums/FAQs, Wiki, Blog, Instant Support, OneCare Help, etc.) they find most useful and what they think might be done to improve them. Remember that these people already work 12 hr+ days, so they will prefer to use a broadcast medium to display information and of course will need any requests to be filtered.

OneCareBear

Friday, August 10, 2007 5:10 AM