I have a valid key, how can I change my key? RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a licence product key and I need to change my invalid license.  I don't want to have to buy the kit since I already have a valid license I would like to use.  Is there a way to download the tool to change the key?

If not would a repair install change the key?  Is there any other way to change the key without paying money?

Thank you,
    Matt Anderson

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 6:42 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, you must reinstall windows to go from XP Professional to Home.

Sorry Devon. :(

Friday, May 5, 2006 6:50 PM

All replies

• Matt:

It would be best to reinstall Windows at this point, as the product must go through our Product Activation to properly install and validate to make you eligible for the newest updates and downloads. There are a few ways to do this, but the preferred method is to backup files you want to keep with a CD or USB drive. Then, format and reinstall Windows.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 6:58 PM
  • Greg, thanks for the prompt reply.  A repair install isn't good enough?  I know it asks for the key when doing a repair ... just looking for an easier way.

Thanks for your help,

Matt Anderson

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 7:16 PM
  • Matt:

Doing a repair install should work, but keep in mind there is still the potential for data loss. 

There are also other problems that may occur such as the installed OS being up to date with SP2 and other current windows updates but the CD being used to repair is an older version of Windows with SP1 or no SP at all.  In these cases problems may occur when trying to update your system after the repair, where the system indicates that updates have already been performed in the past and will not update properly after the repair.  This occurrence is rare, this is why I recommend that you backup your important data and format/reinstall. 

Hope this helps,

Greg

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 7:51 PM
  •  

Wow this really bits, I change computers every 8 to 12 months, so I pull my HD from the old and place it in to the new one - then I sell a car i do not give the new owner my SSN, Password or CC numbers - so my would i give this infomation to the new owner of my computer?

I have a GOOD product Key

Man.. I was just thinking if I wipe this HD clean an reinstall XP Pro & I will have to reinstall XP OFFICE...and you it wont let me do this...it may be time to move on!

Friday, May 5, 2006 2:06 AM
  • i to have a valid product key. win xp home came pre installed with my comp. but now i have a bad copy of win xp pro.  i want to go back to my original windows but i don't really want to reformat my hard drive.  there has to be an easier way.
    Friday, May 5, 2006 3:39 PM
  • Unfortunately, you must reinstall windows to go from XP Professional to Home.

Sorry Devon. :(

Friday, May 5, 2006 6:50 PM