Help!!! I am somewhat pc challenged and I believe I have a threat upon my screen at this moment trying to gain entry....pack_40s1.exe I'm afraid to click a button RRS feed

• Question

• It "looks" like the "my computer" screen popped up and is displaying 11 threats in shared and 23 threats in my documents, 24 threats in local disk (C:) 10 threats in local disk (D:) all flashing in red with the red "windows shield." A Windows Security Alert also popped up listing approximately 7 trojans on my computer and no matter where i put my cursor on the alert....it was "clickable". We've recently lost one computer from my son clicking on buttons randomly when  alerts popped up like this and I don't want to lose my new laptop. Any help would be appreciated. Like I said. I am PC challenged. I was working on a resume and this was the last thing I needed at the moment. Thanks!!!!
    Name Risk level Date Files infected State
    W32/Virut.a! Critical 11.18.2008 35 Waiting removal
    Exploit-MSWord Critical 11.18.2008 35 Waiting removal
    Win 32:Delf-XQ Critical 11.18.2008 35 Waiting removal
    Description:
    This program is potentially dangerous for your system. Trojan-Downloader stealing passwords, credit cards and other personal information from your computer.

Advice:
    You need to remove this threat as soon as possible!
    "
    Monday, December 21, 2009 3:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Your PC is infected by one of the variants of Personal Antivirus. The alert you received is the virus, not the fake viruses it is reporting.

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If  you are not using Windows Live OneCare, you are off topic for this forum. This is not a general forum for viruses, spyware, or Windows Help. For help with spyware issues, you may want to try the forums here:  www.bleepingcomputer.com or http://aumha.net/

For help with virus removal, contact the maker of your Antivirus program.

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx for details. For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, December 21, 2009 4:48 PM
  • Ok thank you!
    Monday, December 21, 2009 7:18 PM
  • I don't know if that person downloaded that file or not - or just froze and immediately wrote on this forum.  But the same thing happened to me today.  I was on facebook, hit a photo of my cousins Christmas tree and a screen popped up with the same information that the other member described.  That my computer is infected with a trojan - it then showed a picture of my document folder with a red X and another folder with an X (and maybe a third folder, I can't remember now?) - each folder had a number count of how many infections were on my computer - it goes onto describe that people are stealing credit card numbers, that this file I should download is from Microsoft and it's an update. 

I declined the download and it kept popping back up - it won't let you do anything else BUT download it.  So, I did.  I logged off the internet immediately and went so far as to unplug the DSL and phone cables.  Then I looked at the file I downloaded - I checked the properties becuase I was curious to see what it said, there was no information.  Then I dumped the file into the recycle bin and spent the next two hours running my antivirus software, malware, spybot and then going back online to make sure I had every microsoft update - I was missing one - the latest.  My scans were free of viruses but I did pick up those adware things, I forgot what they're called.  Spybot catches them.  I'm here because I want to scan my computer again - it will make me feel better.

I just researched this and the person above seems to be the only one talking about it.  I don't goof around on my computer either.  I don't download movies, music - nothing.  The ONLY new thing I've tried recently is facebook and those game apps.  I also downloaded a search engine - Mozilla.  That's it and I was using IE when this download came up.

How can a file just pop up and insist you download it and how do I get it to stop if it happens again?  Should I shut down my computer?  I'm not so stupid to think that Microsoft is going to pop up and say, 'Download me, I'm an update and your files are infected with a trojan horse that wants your credit card information'.  That's putting fear in you and hoping that you'll be so scared you'll do exactly what it says without thinking.  I need to know a solutiion to this because it might happen again. 

Needless to say, I don't feel safe using my comptuer anymore.  If I had kids pressing buttons or if I downloaded music or videos, I might be able to justify what happened today but I'm serious when I tell you that I don't mess around.  Microsoft updates automatically, I have AVG scanning my computer constantly - I don't know where it came from or why but I'd like to know what to do to prevent this from happening in the future.

Thank you,

Tami
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:23 AM
  • Hi, Tami.
    This type of infection is becoming fairly common, unfortunately. When you get a fake security warning like this, my recommendation is to immediately go to your Start Menu and select the shut down the PC and restart. Then go to Control Panel/Internet Options and clear the temporary Internet files for Internet Explorer.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 12:55 PM
  • Thanks Steve.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:21 PM