none
WHS re-install problem RRS feed

• Question

• I reinstalled WHS, due to issues. My users were erased, but not really evidently as when I went to re-enter the same user names I had before I get an error from the console which states "A unique log on name is required. This log on XXXXX already exists or has been reserved. Type another log on name".
    I have to change the name as I do not have access to the original log in I created before the install anymore. I would like to find the folder that contains these log ons and either restore them or erase them so I can recreate the original names. The names may be in there somewhere but they do not show up in the "User Accounts" in the console.
    Under administrator tools/ computer management/ system tools/ local users & groups/ users the user name(s) are in there. If I try to delete the user I get a warning message "Each user is represented by a unique identifier which is independant of the user name. Once a user is deleted, even creating an identically named user in the future will not restore access to resources which currently includes the user in their access control lists." If I understand that statement correctly that would mean I would lose access to the files in the shared folders under that log on. Which I suppose is OK as there are no files in those folders, but I don't know what else it would do.
    I could use some thoughts or suggestions.
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 8:59 PM

Answers

• After server reinstall the user accounts are erased, and if you recreate them within the console, there should be no problem in my experience.
    In this case you would not see the user names in Local Users in computer management as well - a place, which you should not use on Windows Home Server at all.
    Regulary (via console)  created user names are stored here and in the registry below HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\User Manager\Users. If you delete them on both places (which is not a supported way between but may be necessary for troubleshooting in your special case w/o another server reinstall) you should be able to recreate accounts with the same name correctly.

The only part, which remains after a reinstall form a former user, is the home directory of such user, which you should be able to reassign during the recreation process. They are visible in \\server\users share and usually match the former user names.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:37 PM
    In this case you would not see the user names in Local Users in computer management as well - a place, which you should not use on Windows Home Server at all.
    Hm? Users created through the Windows Home Server console are just like any other user on a standalone or workgroup computer. They certainly do appear in the Local Users and Groups MMC snap-in.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:56 PM

All replies

• After server reinstall the user accounts are erased, and if you recreate them within the console, there should be no problem in my experience.
    Regulary (via console)  created user names are stored here and in the registry below HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\User Manager\Users. If you delete them on both places (which is not a supported way between but may be necessary for troubleshooting in your special case w/o another server reinstall) you should be able to recreate accounts with the same name correctly.

The only part, which remains after a reinstall form a former user, is the home directory of such user, which you should be able to reassign during the recreation process. They are visible in \\server\users share and usually match the former user names.

Olaf
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:37 PM
  • You should not mess about in administrator tools/ computer management/ system tools/ local users & groups/. Use the WHS console to create the users.

HP MediaSmart EX475, 2GB ram, 2x512 + 1x120 GB storage. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.paks.no/whs-add-ins/
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:38 PM
    Hm? Users created through the Windows Home Server console are just like any other user on a standalone or workgroup computer. They certainly do appear in the Local Users and Groups MMC snap-in.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:56 PM

But not instantly after a server reinstall without recreating them first ... or?
    Olaf
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:18 AM