Can you only create workflow projects directly on the Project Server computer? RRS feed

• Question

• I was attempting to walk through "How to: Configure Visual Studio 2010 for a Project Server workflow"[1] and got stopped right at Procedure 1, creating a Sharepoint 2010 sequential workflow project.    Error is: "A Sharepoint server is not installed on this computer.  A sharepoint server must be installed to work with Sharepoint projects"

I see the note in the doc that VS should be run on the project server computer to "take advantage of automated deployment and debugging" but does this mean all workflow development must happen on the actual box?  

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee767686(office.14).aspx

Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:57 PM

Answers

• That is correct, development of Project Server workflows must be on the Project Server machine, using Visual Studio 2010. We are looking at other ways to create relatively simple Project Server workflows -- but use of Visual Studio will continue to require development on a test installation of Project Server (you wouldn't want to develop on a production machine!). After they are developed, Project Server workflows can be deployed as SharePoint solutions on production machines.

--Jim
    Friday, February 19, 2010 4:40 AM

All replies

• That is correct, development of Project Server workflows must be on the Project Server machine, using Visual Studio 2010. We are looking at other ways to create relatively simple Project Server workflows -- but use of Visual Studio will continue to require development on a test installation of Project Server (you wouldn't want to develop on a production machine!). After they are developed, Project Server workflows can be deployed as SharePoint solutions on production machines.

--Jim
    Friday, February 19, 2010 4:40 AM
  • How can i set approval process between stages and phases.

thanks in advance
    iqbalkmk
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 3:52 PM