Money UK version. RRS feed

• Question

• I've just reinstalled Money UK on a new computer and restored my files from back up.

All seemed well but when clicking on 'investment' it brings up the MSN news home page instead of my portfolio.

Thursday, June 25, 2020 9:09 PM

All replies

• Copy your *.mny file and your latest *.mbf file from your old computer to the Documents folder on the new computer. Suppose that *.mny file is ericars.mny.

Close Money.  Explore to your documents folder and Open ericars.mny. That should launch Money.

Once inside, Tools->Settings->BackupOptions to set the backups to a place that exists on the new computer.  Use Browse to help find a
    place that exists.  Consider your backup strategy.  You may want to make the upon-exit backup to be a place in your Documents folder,
    and put your scheduled backup on a Flash drive.  That way, a hard drive crash does not make you lose all of your backups.

Friday, June 26, 2020 1:19 AM
  • Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\WebCache. The file urlmap.xml contains the old links which no longer work and screw up the MS Money menu. Rename the file so it doesn't work - I used urlmap.xml_disabled. 

• Edited by SC489 Thursday, July 2, 2020 6:54 AM
    Thursday, July 2, 2020 6:54 AM
  • Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\WebCache. The file urlmap.xml contains the old links which no longer work and screw up the MS Money menu. Rename the file so it doesn't work - I used urlmap.xml_disabled. 

SC489, I think your interpretation is better.  ericars, I suggest that you add the Portfolio and AccountList shortcuts, and use those instead of what you have been clicking.

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f363f10c-64f5-4647-a498-ad21992cdb81/how-to-use-shortcuts?forum=money

Thursday, July 2, 2020 3:29 PM

Great suggestion!!  I wasn't aware of this idea.  Looking around in that folder, I discovered that we are able to customize the categories, both within Money, and for our tax reports, and wrote a short article on the subject at
    https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2020/07/04/customizing-tax-categories/
    Saturday, July 4, 2020 4:49 PM
  • Excellent discovery - most useful.

While writing, does anyone know of a way to display (and ideally print) the balances of an Investment Account or Total Portfolio or Net Worth OVER TIME (ie monthly, quarterly or annual totals over a period of years)?

I'm sure I used to be able to do it, but either I've forgotten how (not too surprising!) or something has changed.

John Edwards

Saturday, July 4, 2020 11:40 PM
  • If you right-click in the report, doesn't the pop-up menu have an entry for print?
    Sunday, July 5, 2020 3:40 AM
  • Excellent discovery - most useful.

While writing, does anyone know of a way to display (and ideally print) the balances of an Investment Account or Total Portfolio or Net Worth OVER TIME (ie monthly, quarterly or annual totals over a period of years)?

I'm sure I used to be able to do it, but either I've forgotten how (not too surprising!) or something has changed.

John Edwards

Customize the Net Worth Over Time report. On the Chart tab, you can change to Report.

If you Copy the report, by right-clicking into the report, and choosing Copy, you can then Paste into a spreadsheet.

Lots of things to customize.

• Proposed as answer by John Edwards1 Sunday, July 5, 2020 10:22 PM
    Sunday, July 5, 2020 5:22 AM
  • Many thanks Cal, I knew I had it somewhere - but I seem to have customised it out of all recognition! Now reinstated as I want it.

Great service - thanks again.

John Edwards

Sunday, July 5, 2020 10:22 PM
  • There is a net worth over time plot / report - be sure to include all accounts. I wanted more control over this so recently exported all past net worth values to a spreadsheet which I now update manually to ensure I'm using the correct share  fund prices.

• Edited by SC489 Monday, July 6, 2020 6:09 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2020 6:08 AM

Great suggestion!!  I wasn't aware of this idea.  Looking around in that folder, I discovered that we are able to customize the categories, both within Money, and for our tax reports, and wrote a short article on the subject at
    https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2020/07/04/customizing-tax-categories/
    Thanks for the adulation and well done for extending the functionality.

• Edited by SC489 Monday, July 6, 2020 6:12 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2020 6:12 AM