System crashed during update RRS feed

• Question

• This morning, I turned on the computer and received a message from 'Onecare' that said my subscription would expire in 90 days. Over the top of that message, there was another message that appeared to be telling me to download some updates. I read it 'quickly' and hit the box that said 'BEGIN'. It asked for my computer name and password which I put in. The password wouldn't work so I went thru the procedure of setting a new password.

After doing what I thought was an update, I went back and my wifes side of the computer was completely gone!

We share a computer (DELL E521) and have our own email accounts, internet connection, document files, etc. Her side was considered the MAIN Identity. Now her side is completly gone! No email, no documents, nothing. Her Outlook Express account appears to be completely gone. My side of the computer appaers to be fine. All files and programs in place

How can I find these files/ programs? Are they still in the computer somewhere or are they completly wiped out?

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:48 PM

Answers

• Without knowing what the update download message was for, it's hard to recommend what you should try. I can tell you that OneCare wouldn't be updating itself with a prompt, and if Tune-up found that you were missing critical Windows updates, it would send you to Windows Update, not install anything.

As for the apparent loss of the profile information for your wife's account, that may be able to be resolved with a reboot or through the use of System Restore.

I am also not aware of any update that would require a login unless you are a limited user on Vista and the update required administrative access via UAC.

Basically, I don't think that OneCare is the cause of the problem, but I can't be sure.

So, first off all, try a reboot. If that fails to bring your wife's login, try a System Restore to yesterday or earlier (not too early, though.)

-steve

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 4:43 PM