Very slow network access (shared folder on local network) with OneCare firewall enabled RRS feed

• Question

• I have two computers in a local network.
    Both computers are part of the same workgroup.
    Both computers have OneCare installed (all with default values).

This is the case with OneCare firewall on
    If I search for my local network on computer 1 I can see both computers.
    But if I double click on the other computer (2) that is part of the network it takes about 2 minutes before I see the shared folders on the computer (2). Double clicking a shared folder takes another 2 minutes to see it's contents.

I have the same trouble using the other computer (2) to look for shared folders on the first computer.
    So the problem is both ways.

If I disable the firewall the network response very well.
    If I now double click on one of the shared folders it's contents is shown almost immediately.

Any idea what couses this?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello, Peter. I can't tell you what the cause might be. However, since you noted that turning the firewall off resolves the problem, I suggest contacting support to have them check your system for conflicts or other possible causes.
    If you had said that the virus and spyware protection was the suspected cause, I would agree that the scanner may be stopping the generation of thumbnails/previews/properties over the network until all files were scanned.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Just a follow up.

This is the answer from Microsoft support.

It is normal that accessing the network takes more than 2 minutes with the OneCare firewall on.
    OneCare firewall has to check the network and this takes time.

If I want to investigate this problem more I have to contact network support (business contract) and this costs me 299 euro's.

Peter.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:51 AM
  • Peter, that is a nonsense answer from support. Please reply to support and ask for escalation. As a OneCare subscriber, you are entitled to free support and that answer does not qualify as a closed case.

Also, if you can provide the case ID here if you don't get helped further, I will ask for support management to follow-up.

-steve

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:41 PM
  • The problem is a bit more complicated.

I installed a RETAIL version of OneCare on a customer computer.
    The customer is not able to solve the problem and does not want to contact support.
    He asked me to do that. I am not charging him any money for this problem because I am also not happy with all this.

So I asked support what to do about this problem.
    First by mail but the mail was lost, so after a couple of days a phoned support.

First I was connected to the department which gives support for home users.
    The told me that this behavior (slow network access) was normal. I explained the problem and told her that my customer would not accept this answer. She told me that she no longer could help me because I am not a home user. Apparently I may not call support on behalf of my customer.

I had to phone support again and asked for business support. They told me that I had to pay 299 euro to solve this problem. There was no support for OneCare in a network environment. Only for stand-alone use.

So I can only conclude from all this that support for OneCare is free for home users and not for use in a business. The only thing to do is to pay the 299 euro's and hopefully the problem gets solved.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:02 PM
  • I'm sorry that you've had such an issue with support, Peter. OneCare *is* supported in a network environment, clearly, and the license holder is indeed able to get free support. Complicating the issue is that you are not the end user, hence the license is not held by you. If you have the capability of calling from the customer location *as the customer* while at the PC, you may have better luck. If you call as a 3rd party, providing support to someone else, that would be a business relationship, hence the support issue you are facing. Complicated - and an assumption on my part.

In any event, the 2 minute delay is not normal. I wonder if there is another firewall active concurrently with OneCare, which might be causing the problem.

-steve

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Maybe I should give it a try.

The two computers are linked together with a modem/router (speedtouch 780iWL) .
    The Firewall in this router is not enabled.
    I believe the firewall is for internet access only, but I am not sure.

The configuration router and OneCare always worked but all of the sudden it is behaving like this.
    There was one strange thing I could not understand and that is that the computers were first on a different workgroup while both computer could access there shared folders.
    So I changed on one of the computers the workgroup name.
    Now, both computers are on the same workgroup. But now I have this problem.

Computers are visible on the network but access is very slow.

Already reset the modem/router but without effect.
    Maybe I should reset OneCare. Any idea how to do this or should I try a reinstall?

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:58 PM
  • The firewall on the router should have no effect as that would be for external access only. A conflicting firewall would be resident on the PC. It can be installed or it could be bundled and enabled with the network adapter driver.

If you want to try the brute force approach with OneCare. Uninstall and reinstall is the way to go. In between the two, use the cleanup tool:  

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943/

Make sure you know the LiveID for the subscription before you uninstall or you won't be able to activate once again.

I assume that Internet access is unaffected by this problem? Only shares between the PCs locally?

Any possibility of trying another router, in the mix, disabling DHCP on the current combo modem/router so that it is acting simply as a modem?

-steve

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 6:09 PM