disaster recover RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone point to a forum answer of document that describes the procedure to restore a WHS2011 system if the computer motherboard fails, thereby needing a complete recovery on a potential different system ?

I am really only interested in the shares. the client backups would not be important.

Thanks

Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:31 AM

All replies

• Not exactly, but try this to start with:

Backup & Restore

You will have problems if the motherboard is different to the original (drivers) and may need to phone Microsoft for re-activation.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:37 AM
  • I get a server error trying to access the file.  I am not real concerned with the activation, etc. It's being able to retrieve all the shared files.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:41 AM
  • OK, try the link again now.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 11:20 AM
  • Hi,
    The process is explained in the documentation per link provided by Phil.
    In case of a home build server you will probable not have access to a recovery DVD. In that case you wil need to go as explained under "Restore or repair your server using the installation DVD".

Additional note: for restoring you will need a valid server backup disk, externally connected through USB, IEEE 1394, or eSATA.
    The restore process will fail when connecting the backup disk as an internal server disk.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 9:29 PM