"Microsoft Office XP Standard: Product Not Activated" RRS feed

• Question

• That's the error message I get whenever I try to run the Genuine Advantage software.  Backstory: A friend of mine sent me a file using Excel 2007 (I think), and my version of Excel is an older one.  In order to open the file, it told me to download the compatibility pack.  When I tried to do that, it told me to check for Office updates first.  I had some trouble getting all the ActiveX controls straightened out, but once that was all done (and confirmed using the Diagnostics tool), I was still unable to retrieve the updates due to the error message I mentioned.  (Side story: I *was* able to download the compatibility pack and open the file -- that worked fine even without the Office update, ironically enough.  But I'd still like to know what's going on.)

My copy of Office is undoubtedly genuine; I purchased it myself from the store at great pains to my wallet, and it activated just fine.  In fact, due to computer upgrades in the meantime, it's been activated more than once.  To my knowledge, it has never been altered (and there's no reason to believe it could have been altered without my knowledge), and it works perfectly.  Any ideas?
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 9:00 PM

Answers

All replies