Restore Error, RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all! 

I restored one of my laptops last night and when the restore completed I rebooted the computer and I get a black screen with this message: "SB:Checksum!". It goes no where. I tried to live boot a copy of ubuntu and it still goes to that error message.

Any takers?? 
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:05 PM

Answers

• Hi John,
    since Recovery partitions usually are hidden partitions and not in NTFS format, these will not be covered by WHS backup.
    So the best way would be, first recreate the recovery partition using the HP recovery CD (could also be a full recovery) and after that perform the restore of the saved volumes using the backup from WHS.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 12:38 PM

All replies

• John,

If it's happening on both, the first thing I would check, would be the BIOS settings.
    When you did the restore, was this to an existing drive, or a replacement and did the original drive have anything like a 'restore partition'?

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:23 PM
  • Hi John,
    what model is the laptop? Some have weird initial partitions and need them for booting, i.e. Lenovo. So the proper way for such models would be to perform a normal recovery of the disk first using the supplied media of the laptop maker and after that restore the backup from your Windows Home Server to the clients system partition.
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:48 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

Sorry for the late response, I was very ill. As for the model I have an HP and it did have a recovery partition but it also is messed. I am going to try to wipe the disk clean and then pull the backup from the server. Will this bring along the recovery partition as well? Do you even think my plan will work?

R/

John McKnight.
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 12:01 PM
  • Hi John,
    since Recovery partitions usually are hidden partitions and not in NTFS format, these will not be covered by WHS backup.
    So the best way would be, first recreate the recovery partition using the HP recovery CD (could also be a full recovery) and after that perform the restore of the saved volumes using the backup from WHS.
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 12:38 PM