HD's only showing 128 Gig RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have an odd one. I have a home server that I have built out of an old gateway 901x. It contains 4 identical 250 gig Maxtor ATA drives. The primary drive shows the whole 250 gig but the other 3 only show as 128 gig.

I have no idea why I can't get the other three to show the full 250 gig. Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Jeff Griffin

Thursday, May 1, 2008 6:22 PM

All replies

•  

Sounds like you may be hitting the limitation here

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-6526-137-GB-128-GB-binary-limit-Help.html

Though why this would happen on WHS (Server 2003 based on XP SP2), you shouldn't have such a problem.

Thursday, May 1, 2008 9:39 PM
  • Yeah, I had read that but I dont see how that could be the problem when the primary shows the full 250 gig.

Friday, May 2, 2008 6:35 PM
  • Mind me asking how these drives are connected? Is it PATA, SATA, SCSI, etc... Is it an add-on board to the motherboard or are the drives connected to the existing motherboard controller?

Does your BIOS report all drives correctly and display them as 250GB capacity? If so, I might suspect a driver problem of some sort... Make sure your drives are jumpered correctly as some mfgs have special settings that reduce capacity.

Jeff Griffin wrote:

Yeah, I had read that but I dont see how that could be the problem when the primary shows the full 250 gig.

Friday, May 2, 2008 7:08 PM
  • They are all PATA drives. All are connected to the motherboard and the bios reports all as 250 gig... The only thing I have not checked is the jumpers. I will take a look in the morning and report back. Thanks everyone!

-Jeff Griffin

Saturday, May 3, 2008 3:39 AM
  • Then I would suspect a software issue (drivers, OS, etc) if the BIOS reports the correct information. Do they show as the correct capacity in WHS Setup? If not, WHS may have a bug, if so, suspect driver problem, see if you can find updated drivers.

There may be something else I'm not thinking of though... Anyone?

4 PATA drives, one master and one slave on each bus.. I would jumer all the drives as 'cable select' but you can also try master and slave as cable select is iffy on old hardware.

Jeff Griffin wrote:

They are all PATA drives. All are connected to the motherboard and the bios reports all as 250 gig... The only thing I have not checked is the jumpers. I will take a look in the morning and report back. Thanks everyone!

-Jeff Griffin

Saturday, May 3, 2008 2:45 PM